INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Hard Drive (off subject)  (Read 1439 times)

deerhunter

• World Citizen
  • self employed
Need Hard Drive (off subject)
« on: June 19, 2002, 11:51:04 am »

With MJ8 my Dell Dimension 450 has become a real music machine. But unfortunately it has only a 9 gig hard drive. Have they got a portable hard drive you can play MP3's from. What do you suggest.
deerhunter

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
RE:Need Hard Drive (off subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2002, 12:11:32 pm »

I use an external USB2 120 Gb Maxtor disk and it works great. I've never tried it with Usb 1.1, so depending if you have a usb2 card or not your milege may vary. You can also get quite substantial extrenal firewire disk

http://www.maxtor.com/products/externalstorage/

I also have a Archos Jukebox 20 Gb (also with Usb2 interface) that can also be used as an external disk, but it's a bit more finnicky to be use all the time just as a regular HD. It's great as a portable player and to move data around

Claudio

deerhunter

• World Citizen
  • self employed
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2002, 12:46:21 pm »

Sounds like I need to add a USB 2.0 adapter card. I hate to get into this again as I had a lot of trouble getting a firewire card to work. Not enough IRQ settings or what ever. But may give it a try.
deerhunter

zevele1

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2002, 12:59:48 pm »

If you are ready to spend ,they have a 160 gb,external as well,at around $30

deerhunter

• World Citizen
  • self employed
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2002, 01:11:11 pm »

It looks like the 40  gig would do. Still around $200 minus a $30 rebate. The USB2 card adds another $50.

Would the USB2 card replace the USB1 card so I would have room and use the same IRQ?
deerhunter

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
  • network admincomputers, dogs, tattoos
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2002, 01:15:38 pm »

Kangaroo drive, I have a 30 gig model, I use it when I travel with my laptop so I can have my music libary with me.  Does a great job and it's about the size of a pack of smokes.
Brian

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2002, 01:23:01 pm »

If you have a firewire card already, you should get a firewire extrenal disk. They work just as well as the usb2. In the link I posted above most of the disk are firewire

Claudio

deerhunter

• World Citizen
  • self employed
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2002, 01:29:28 pm »

I have a firewire card but had a heck of a time getting it to work. Spent hours on the phone with Dell and finally gave up. If I remember right I had to disconnect one of the game cards or something to free an IRQ. Dell get awfully cranky if you don't buy everything from them.
deerhunter

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2002, 02:34:02 pm »

>> Dell get awfully cranky if you don't buy everything from them.
They all do.

Yep it does Take an IRQ
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2002, 02:41:15 pm »

Those USB2 disk also connets just fine to your Usb 1.1 ports. They will not be blazingly fast but should allow you to playback fine. You can start with what you have and if it is not fast enough upgrade to usb2. If you then install an USB2 card, you can definetily substitute it with you current usb 1.1 card (do you really have USB 1 in in a separate card?) USB2 is compeltely compatible with usb 1.1.

I personally have a combo firewire/usb2 card.. expensive but I needed both and I had run out of PCI slots

Claudio

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2002, 03:29:02 pm »

or better yet install an Soundblaster Audigy Plat. has two firewire ports built into it, one front, one back!
Brian

deerhunter

• World Citizen
  • self employed
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2002, 03:29:32 pm »

Maybe it isn't a USB card but I spent a lot of money and time trying to hook up firewire and do some video editing. Finally sent it all back and got my money back. According to Dell IRQ's are the problem. Mine are already filled. Will give this a try. Thanks for the help.
t
deerhunter

deerhunter

• World Citizen
  • self employed
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2002, 03:39:04 pm »

King Sparta, I had bought a $4500 computer from them still under warranty. Got software from MGI. Spent huge telephone bill trying to get it to work. They gave up and said it was Dell's fault and to call them. Of course no help from Dell so I took their advice and got another firewire card and software direct from Dell. Spent another two months (at least free phone bills) and Dell couldn't get it to work so went to Microsoft. They spent a dozen phone calls and finally got their movie maker to work halfway. The Dell software never would work so I sent it all back.
deerhunter

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2002, 03:52:57 pm »

Gateway Is The Same Way So It Is Not Just Dell (Dell Is The Number One Computer Seller).

There Was A Good Show On Mr Dell This Past Weekend, And The Whole Dell company And Before Back When He Was About 15 Years Old.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

deerhunter

• World Citizen
  • self employed
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2002, 04:16:43 pm »

Don't get me wrong. I love Dell Computers. They are the best in my opinion. In fact I made sure my school teacher daughter bought the best Dell available last November. Had the latest video editing software pre-installed. Funny thing it didn't work either. We have to reinstall the editing software everytime we edit a tape. This is on a 1plus gig with 80 gig harddrive and very little software installed. Video editing on a PC just plain sucks. Go Mac if you want to do this.
deerhunter

nyc-ink

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2002, 06:59:56 pm »

Macs?  Store bought machines?  Learn to build your own, it's pretty easy and you can tailor exactly the box you need and run with very few problems.  HomeBrew is the only brand to have!
Brian

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
  • music, SCUBA, movies, VR, multimedia, PCs
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2002, 07:12:55 pm »

I thought Win98 (and up) did IRQ sharing so that free IRQs aren't such a problem with those OS's?  Are you running Win95 Deerhunter?

Listening to: 'Don Quichotte - Magazine 60' from 'Music From Northern Exposure' by 'Various Artists' on Media Jukebox
"And the men who hold high places. Must be the ones who start... to mold a new reality. Closer to the Heart."

DeathRider

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2002, 08:06:43 pm »

I am sure that most of yall know about pricewatch, but for those that don't here is the link for some great deals. just read the info for each e-tailer and once you have found one you like you can use on a regular basis, I use it to order parts to build PC for freinds.

http://www.pricewatch.com/
Robert Long

deerhunter

• World Citizen
  • self employed
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2002, 01:24:22 pm »

Using Windows ME. When I installed firewire we tried sharing IRQ's. Had to finally disconnect my dvd player to get it to work. Still a lot of problems. Don't remember them all but hope I don't get into them again.

Listening to: 'Heaven Help the Working Girl' from 'Bluegrass Radio' by 'Norma Jean' on Media Jukebox
deerhunter
Pages: [1]   Go Up