INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC with a small touchscreen  (Read 1810 times)

HiBitFan

• Recent member
MC with a small touchscreen
« on: September 18, 2010, 12:12:45 pm »

Hi,

I'm using MC as a pure high quality audio player, no TV, no video, no images (besides cover art). Because of this limited requirements and because it should fit into my HiFi rack I bought a small touchscreen (8" screen; resolution 800x600) as the main display for my audio server.
But this device gave me a lot of headache. First it took me a while to realize that I have to use the 'Obsidian Touchscreen' skin. Would be great if you add a Wiki page concerning touchscreens to collect all the useful/necessary information there. I'm sure I haven't discovered all useful configuration options so far.

My major problem however is that the Theater View seems to be optimized for a screen with a minimal resolution of 1024x768 and a cursor type remote. With a remote it's easy to scroll in buttons from outside the visible screen but by using fingertip control this is not convenient.
Some proposals for improvement:
- adjustable font size to make buttons bigger
- left adjustment of button lines to display all buttons if possible or allow configuration of the displayed buttons

The most prefered option however would be a new touchscreen skin which automatically adapts to any screen resolution and tries to always display all functions with clearly marked push buttons. Only the library part should be scrollable.

Any chance to get improvements here ?

Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC with a small touchscreen
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 03:32:19 pm »

First, install the newest build from the top of this board.  It uses wider scrollbars with Obsidian Touchscreen.

As for size, experiment with Options > Theater View > Size.  You might want to use a little smaller size, like 80% so you can get more on the screen.

Let us know how you fare.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

globetrotters1

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 07:31:29 pm »

Matt, wow... I have to try the wider scrollbars... was waiting for that improvement for some time :) ... thanks!

HiBitFan

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 01:46:36 pm »

Hi Matt,

I have tried the latest version but it does not really help because the scrollbar is still to small for my fingertips.
Scrolling the album area is not the real problem however.

It would be great if the two lines of buttons on the top of the screen could be configured separately to ensure that the important functions are not scrolled off the screen.
Just recently I run in a major issue here: If an album is selected its name is copied into the header line. If this name requires the complete width of the screen the button line is no longer scrollable and there is no chance anymore to select a new function or leave this screen at all. So you are locked.

H.

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 01:40:51 pm »

If you have a touch screen, do you really have to have the scroll bars visible? I'm just asking because the flicking of the pages seems to work like a dream when tossing it around with a mouse. Have not tried with touch screen my self yet though..
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

HiBitFan

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 03:32:07 pm »

MrHaugen,

Actually you are right. The scrollbars are not really needed.
But my problem is not with with the content area (albums, songs) but with the functional buttons. On a small screen they are either to small for my fingers or the important ones are just scrolled off the screen.
And I couldn't find any configuration option to improve this.

H.

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 04:53:28 pm »

I see. That might be a problem. The size option in TV might help, but it would also make the size of everything enormous, and you'd probably only get a few covers on screen at the same time. Not the best, but maybe the only option if you can't do something with the skin it self.

What I have asked for a couple of times is that the rollers can be set as touch friendly. With that I mean that they can be flicked/moved, without actually making any selections. When you see the option you want, you tap one extra time, and it's selected. Tap, automatically center on the selection and enter.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up