INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Supporting different "sidecar" formats  (Read 2070 times)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Supporting different "sidecar" formats
« on: September 19, 2010, 05:21:38 pm »

Since I'm forced to use 3rd party programs to automatically scrape media information for my TV shows and movies, I was hoping that JRiver would support formats other than MC XML as sidecar files. The program I generally use saves info to a fairly standard NFO format that I would like to import into MC15. Otherwise I'll be forced to tag all of my video files by hand.

Are there any other solutions that people have had success with in the meantime to import metadata into JRiver?

Thanks!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Supporting different "sidecar" formats
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 06:40:39 pm »

I already asked if they could add support for .MY files in this thread here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59514.0

.MY files are a quasi-standard sidecar file format for TV and Movie metadata, originally used by MyHTPC, but now supported by a variety of third-party tools.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 06:45:44 pm »

It really would be so much easier if MC could scrape info. The Wikipedia lookup was a huge step in the right direction: it just needs to be more automated (along the same lines as the yabb cover art lookup) and perhaps the devs could add more specialized databases.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:31:25 pm »

Bryanhoop,

There are a few options before manually tagging.  I am using pvd (personal movie database) and pvdimport plugin, and both are working quite well with MC.  Not a one stop shop, but certainly painless.

PVD, and I assuming other, movie databases/scrapers, will let you export plain text in a format you define, so you could perhaps make mc xml files??  [Not that you need to with pvd as pvdimport is much more elegant.]

Craig

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 03:48:04 am »

If you want choice in data sources and good control over the whole process, then the PVD/PvdImport solution can't be beat. It takes some effort to set up, mainly because it's so powerful and flexible (like some other software we know). But once it's done, it's painless. PVD handles the data collection, and PvdImport automatically pulls the data directly from the PVD database.

There are other plugin solutions available that might be more appropriate if you're more interested in ease-of-use than the quality and completeness of the data.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 10:02:25 am »

PVD really looks to be:

a) Manual
b) Clunky (I'd much rather use MC to tag files than some clunky web UI)
c) Focused on Movies

MC's Wikipedia movie lookup works fine for me for movies.  I don't add new movies to my library that frequently (certainly not a bunch at a time).  If I buy one or two new movies and rip them, it isn't that much of a burden to do the manual tag from Wikipedia on them after import.  I think the main concern is TV Show metadata.  I know PVD can handle this to a degree, but what I'd need is a system that AUTO-RETRIEVES the metadata based on the filename with absolutely no user interaction, and then somehow gets this info into the appropriate fields in MC at import.  If it gets it wrong, then I'd be willing to go in and manually fix the files using some sort of tool (preferably built-in to MC), but I want it to at least try to get it right.  If I have to open up and manually tag the files in some web UI, then that really defeats what I'm looking for.

Of course, I also really need MC to be able to read the metadata recorded by my PVR application.  That would solve TONS of problems and allow me to use MC to manage all of my media.

I think the real solution is for MC to read a wide variety of sidecar metadata formats (maybe even with a user-configurable field mapping tool), and then to handle TV Show metadata lookup from one of the online public data repositories automatically (once you have the [Series], [Season], and episode number tagged, MC should be able to just look up all the other metadata).

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 01:08:04 pm »

PVD really looks to be...

Based on your request for .MY file support, I already knew PVD is not the answer to your needs. That you're satisfied with incomplete and inconsistent data from Wikipedia further indicates it would be pointless to use PVD. My comment was for Craig's benefit. And, as I pointed out, it may not suit his needs either.

Given a source for series data, PVD handles it perfectly well. I don't see any reason to suggest it handles movies but not series. But you're focused on getting data from your .MY files. PVD could do that (with a custom script), but if you have no need to change or manage that data, that would be pointless.

I think the real solution is for MC to read a wide variety of sidecar metadata formats (maybe even with a user-configurable field mapping tool)

Now that would be "clunky." ;)

If MC is going to automatically import meta data from an external source, what does it need sidecar files for? Sidecar files are a crude way to get information from another application with which MC cannot communicate directly, and they may be the only way to share MC data with some other applications. That doesn't mean they're an attractive common solution for getting meta data into MC.

...and then to handle TV Show metadata lookup from one of the online public data repositories automatically...

Using something like TheTVDb might satisfy users only interested in data for popular American series, but there's no one source I'm aware of that provides consistent, complete data for all series.

The irony in all this is those of us who have an interest in collecting and managing video data have found a highly effective tool in PVD. Just like MC is not for those lacking the aptitude or desire to venture beyond iTunes, it's not for everyone. But if it's used to collect and manage video data, PvdImport will pull all that data into MC with absolutely no user interaction. Those without that degree of interest (and there's nothing wrong with that) are getting nothing.

I think the smart thing for JRiver to do is to contract with a source like AMG to provide data, and to automatically import a fixed set of movie and series data. That would make 80% of North American users very happy, as they would get a lot of good consistent data without lifting a finger. Others would be left wanting, but at least it would be something. I have no idea what an arrangement with AMG would cost, but the fact other applications apparently do this suggests it might be reasonable. Logic suggests AMG should be happy receiving a modest fee, rather than forcing users to scrape it for free. Maybe the only cost would be the commitment to include links to AMG—something which most of us would find useful anyway.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 01:18:12 pm »

what I'd need is a system that AUTO-RETRIEVES the metadata based on the filename with absolutely no user interaction, and then somehow gets this info into the appropriate fields in MC at import.

Exactly.

I think the real solution is for MC to read a wide variety of sidecar metadata formats (maybe even with a user-configurable field mapping tool), and then to handle TV Show metadata lookup from one of the online public data repositories automatically (once you have the [Series], [Season], and episode number tagged, MC should be able to just look up all the other metadata).

I think that an even simpler solution would be to just look up movies based on filenames (like Boxee and XBMC), since those are completely universal and easy to manipulate. Perhaps make it a fuzzy search like the current wikipedia lookup so we aren't locked into the same rigorous file-naming structures.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 02:27:36 pm »

I still need it to read external metadata.  There are LOTS of things about my recordings that I can't get from a TV database, no matter how complete.  For example, I want to be able to see the date/time it was recorded, the channel it was recorded on, and things like that.

Plus, XML sidecar files allow metadata exchange and keep you from getting locked into a proprietary database format.  I don't think they're crude at all.  Most high-end enterprise DAM systems are ADDING sidecar XML file support now.  They are certainly not abandoning it.  There are lots of file types that do not support in-file tags, and XML sidecar files are a great and extensible way to store this information in a non-proprietary way.

I've checked out PVD a few times.  I really don't think it is a viable system for many people.  I suppose if you are incredibly meticulous about organization, but not very concerned with speed, then it could be a useful tool.  But I don't care about all of that.  I just want a system that gives me the program guide style info for my recordings in MC.  I want a 1-2 line description, a couple of the top cast members, the date, and other general details.  Just like I would get in the program guide on my digital cable box or in SageTV.

Most importantly, though, it needs to be able to happen with ZERO user input, and work for ALL files recorded.

The easiest way in MY case, would be to read the .MY files generated by SageTV.  But that only works for those recordings and not for shows that come from other sources.  I'd also like to see MC get a better system for TV Show (and music) metadata.

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 03:39:53 pm »

But I don't care about all of that.  I just want a system that gives me the program guide style info for my recordings in MC.

So what's wrong with a system that simply downloads the information directly? It would work for all media (that may be an overstatement, but only to the incredibly meticulous) and all users. And, while I have no objection to sidecar files of any particular format being made readable for special purposes, that—in itself—doesn't constitute a "system viable for many people" either.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 04:47:52 pm »

So what's wrong with a system that simply downloads the information directly? It would work for all media (that may be an overstatement, but only to the incredibly meticulous) and all users. And, while I have no objection to sidecar files of any particular format being made readable for special purposes, that—in itself—doesn't constitute a "system viable for many people" either.

Nothing.  I certainly would vote for that, but we're a LONG way off, I suspect.  Wishing for it doesn't make it true.  Supporting an existing sidecar file format can get me the information I need NOW, and it would be a relatively simple coding challenge (just metadata field mapping and text file reading).  And besides... I'd want to be able to interchange metadata with other applications ANYWAY.  Even the best auto-downloading system wouldn't get all the info I want.  For example, it wouldn't be able to tell what channel I recorded my show on, what exact time/day the recording started, or a variety of other implementation-specific metadata pieces.  And what about local content?  We have a show that I record weekly called Maine Business Weekly.  I also have a local public access show that I record.  SageTV has all of this information stored in the .MY sidecar file.  No online database is going to know about any of that stuff, unless I enter it in myself.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 06:34:15 pm »

Hi Glynor,

Have you tried the silent option in PVD.  It will take its best guess based on name and get the data without user input.  Useful for the first import when you have a few hundred titles.  You can then set back to manual to fix the anomalies.

rick.ca

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 08:18:08 pm »

I think glynor has made it abundantly clear PVD is not a suitable solution for his needs. Besides, he doesn't need to justify his choice in order to make a straight-forward request that alternative be supported. More choices can only be good for users and MC. The only reason I commented here was to clarify the nature of the PVD/PvdImport choice. It's the only one for incredibly meticulous video fanatics with OCD. Others may prefer a different solution. ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up