INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Normalizing in MC15?  (Read 2313 times)

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
Normalizing in MC15?
« on: September 21, 2010, 10:30:46 am »

Until recently, I have been using a free program call Mp3Gain to normalize my mp3 files. Now start I've decided to start ripping to flac, I was wondering if there are any similar possibilities with flac after ripping. I would have preferred to find a normalizing function within MC15, but if not so, could someone please point me to a (free) software that could deal with this? When ripping LPs I normally do some cleaning while the files are still in WAV format, so any info on WAV normalizers would also be nice. The more user-friendly, the better.
Thanks in advance.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Normalizing in MC15?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:52:32 am »

Do you need the actual audio data to be altered/normalized like MP3Gain?  If not, you should consider using MC's built-in "Analyze Audio" function which stores "Replay Gain" tags for the file without altering the audio data and will allow you to do volume leveling during playback.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 11:04:04 am »

Thanks a lot for your reply. I've had a look at that feature, but I must admit I didn't quite get it. I did one quick analyzing job, and the result was "Replay Gain - -3,47 dB" and "Peak Level - 60%". The text above the results says " This information can later be used to enhance your listening experience and help with organization". Of which I don't get a word, really. How will this help me avoiding jumping in my chair when a new record from i.e. my playlist plays, and its output level is far louder than the previous tracks?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:26:22 am »

During playback, go to the menu "Player | DSP Studio..." and check "Volume Leveling" in that dialog.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:35:50 am »

How will this help me avoiding jumping in my chair when a new record from i.e. my playlist plays, and its output level is far louder than the previous tracks?

As cncb said, MC can apply the Replay Gain correction during playback. It provides a few options. If you want to keep the quiet tracks in each album relatively correct (i.e. quieter than the loud tracks) you can select the album mode. The track mode is useful for playing quiet background music or if your files are not organized as albums.

BTW, "Normalizing" usually means just leveling the files according to the maximum peaks, which doesn't make the files to be audibly leveled. It is an encoding option for CD ripping and it should not be used without a specific reason. For instance, if you want to rip private recordings that are stored on Audio CDs and the peak volume levels happen to be all over the place you may want to enable it. I wouldn't recommended using it when ripping standard commercial Audio CDs.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 12:01:04 pm »

Thanks a lot to the both of you. I'd never figure this out on my own. And I'm afraid you're right; I have been overdoing the mp3gain a bit, considering it more an amplifier/deamplifier than a normalizer. Anyway, I'm about to start digitalizing parts of my records (LPs, cassettes and CDs) all over now, and will avoid these mistakes this time. (Which probably means I'll be back with some more questions during the next couple of weeks . . . )
Until then, thanks again.

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 12:10:39 pm »

Eh - just one more question: would batch analyzing from the MC library be a good idea at all? (Meaning the entire library.)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 02:10:33 pm »

It might take a while but there shouldn't be any issues analyzing many files at a time.

robydago

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 06:53:07 pm »

I use the Stereo Tool plugin with MC: http://www.stereotool.com/

So that I get *everything* normalized (even videos or live web streams) when I need it and without having to analyze files.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 08:55:37 pm »

I also use MP3Gain. I keep separate libraries of MP3 files and FLAC files.  All MP3 files are run thru MP3Gain and set to a 92 db target.  This is done prior to importing the MP3 files into MC.  This is mainly used for CD compilations for my car stereo, and keeps me from having to adjust the volume between songs.  It would be nice if MC15 had an option for CD and DVD burning that would apply the replay gain tag info upon burning.  If that were the case, I probably wouldn't need MP3Gain.

justsomeguy

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 09:30:06 pm »

This is mainly used for CD compilations for my car stereo, and keeps me from having to adjust the volume between songs.  It would be nice if MC15 had an option for CD and DVD burning that would apply the replay gain tag info upon burning.  If that were the case, I probably wouldn't need MP3Gain.

Yes, I really want this as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up