INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PlugPlayer on iPad cannot see the MC DLNA server  (Read 4541 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
PlugPlayer on iPad cannot see the MC DLNA server
« on: September 29, 2010, 03:39:09 pm »

Can anyone offer some advice on what might be going wrong?

I have both Library Server and DLNA Server turned on in MC15 (I have the very latest release) and WebREmote is accessible from another PC on my network and the DLNA server is also visible to UPnP software on the other PC.  so it's all workng as far as I can tell.

But my (new) iPad with PlugPlayer annot discover the DLNA server.  I can add a new device maually but I don't know what to enter for the URL.  Also, I cannot access WebRemote via Safari in the iPad - it says server not found when typing in its URL.

Is this a basic problem with the iPad not being able to see my JRiver PC?  And how can I solve it?

Note that PlugPlayer didn't initially discover my WD TV Live renderer however I was able to add it manually with the URL and it now appears correctly in the renderer list with the name I originally assigned to the box when I set it up, so the iPad is indeed able to see other devices on the network.

The only thing I can think of is that the PCs are not plugged directly into my router, they hang off switches, whereas the wireless that my iPad is connected by is obviously a direct port ont he router, but then again the WD TV Live box is ont he same switch as the Jiver PC...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: PlugPlayer on iPad cannot see the MC DLNA server
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 04:24:33 pm »

The wiki has an article titled "Network Access".  It might be useful.

csimon

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 04:36:41 pm »

Hmm, it talks about accessing the MC server from outside the network, which doesn't apply in my case. The iPad is on the same subnet as all the other devices.  It also talks about a test function and an access key which is available from Options/Media Network, but I can't see anything like that in my copy of MC?

csimon

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 05:29:25 pm »

Further information:

Using another UPnP controller (foobar2000) on a second networked PC, I can see the JRiver server and the internal PlugPlayer renderer on the iPad and can send music from one to another and it plays perfectly on the iPad.  So the JRiver server and the iPad are definitely "networkable" is far as DLNA control goes, I just can't get the iPad to see the JRiver server.

(Also posted on the PlugPlayer forum!)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 10:44:10 am »

Your multicast packets are getting blocked somewhere, either the switch or the switch in the router.

You can manually enter the server:

http://1.2.3.4:52100/DeviceDescription.xml

Replace 1.2.3.4 with your PC ip address.
52100 is the first server in your DLNA servers list.

csimon

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 01:23:17 pm »

Many thanks, that worked!  Yes, there must be something being blocked since I had to set up both the WD TV Live renderer and the MC server manually with a fixed IP address.
Pages: [1]   Go Up