INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home Media Server Devices  (Read 1489 times)

Jaundiced Eye

Home Media Server Devices
« on: June 19, 2002, 07:34:11 am »

Toshiba is releasing a $1400 home media center server that runs wirelessly over 802.11 technology:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,101965,00.asp

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
RE:Home Media Server Devices
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2002, 08:02:09 am »

Here is another interesting digital music new product from Toshiba. An portable harddisk base mp3/wma player with removable HD. Looks small and cool ( the design is clearly iPod inspired )

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0206/18.toshiba.php

Claudio

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2002, 08:10:20 am »

I read a couple days ago that Toshiba is the supplier of the hard drives for the Ipod and that SonicBlue (Rio) was unable to get enough to make a similar device.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
  • music, SCUBA, movies, VR, multimedia, PCs
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2002, 08:16:44 pm »

An 800 lb gorilla enters the arena

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-938110.html

Listening to: 'Levon' from 'Madman Across The Water' by 'Elton John' on Media Jukebox
"And the men who hold high places. Must be the ones who start... to mold a new reality. Closer to the Heart."

Jaundiced Eye

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2002, 11:25:17 pm »

Yes, Microsoft has announced its Freestyle trial trial in this market.  But it has entered many, many markets without success.  The most recent example is XBox, which is a failure by MSFT standards.

MSFT embedded systems is also pathetic.
The Window CE software is nicknamed "WinCE" for a reason.
Microsoft is embarrassed by its "wireless" intiative, which is behind the times and revolves around warmed-over versions of WinCE
Remember that even where MSFT succeeds (typically, for software close to the platform O/S), it often starts out very klugey.

Does anyone know if the Freestyle-beta test is wireless?

I think this foray by MSFT into the home server market is too late.  Many, many companies are read to jump in.  I suspect that by this fall we will see many products hit this market and that it will be a common XMAS present in 2003, although perhaps it would be 2004 before the prices drop enough to hit a sweet spot.

Long-term, if a company like JRiver succeeds in bundling its product with a home server product (as MM or Roxio succeeded in bundling with CD burners), I don't even see why you would need a DVD player or CD player in your living room or family room.

Toshiba is correct to jump into this market, albeit at a nosebleed price.

jaundiced eye

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2002, 05:32:30 pm »

1.  recent article on wireless home entertainment that may be of interest.

http://www.80211-planet.com/columns/article/0,4000,1781_1450881,00.html

2.  Has anyone tried hooking a 802.11/ethernet bridge to an audiotron, Sonic Blue digital receiver and then into an 802.11 network to get music from your home computer?

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2002, 07:18:02 pm »

Yep, this is how I run my Audiotron.  If Linksys could put out a working 802.11 bridge to save their lives, it would be great.  802.11 is clearly a workable technology for this, but Linksys is not a good implementation.

Jaundiced Eye

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2002, 09:42:49 am »

Paul,

Thanks for your response.  Sorry not to have gotten right back to you.  If the Linksys ethernet/802.11 bridge is questionable, does anyone else have a decent technology?

Jaundiced Eye

Cephlen

• Junior Woodchuck
  • someday I will find a pic that looks good...
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2002, 10:59:29 am »

Does anyone know if the Freestyle-beta test is wireless?

Freestyle is a modified version of XP.  It is being packaged with computer systems being sold by other manufacturers.  So, an OS itself is not wireless, but the OS does support wireless devices.

I wont comment on your other off topic MS bashing.. if you didnt know the above, then you obviously dont know much about MS..
All ICQ's are ignored unless I have added you.

Jaundiced Eye

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2002, 01:24:54 pm »

SeanC,

Thanks for your response. Sorry not to have gotten right back to you. If the Linksys ethernet/802.11 bridge is questionable, does anyone else have a decent technology?

Jaundiced Eye
Pages: [1]   Go Up