INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renewed interest in client/server model?  (Read 774 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Renewed interest in client/server model?
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:46:43 pm »

Would it be possible to rethink the client/server enforced capability model again?  I've brought it up a time or two before.  Basically, a MC server would have a lot more control over the entire system--such as managing a single database of files while offering "user" based playlists and other setup if the server grants that capability.

The problem is that with a server, multiple users, and a htpc the consistency falls to a crawl.  There doesn't appear to be a good method for securing the media (perhaps queuing up client changes for approval) or centralizing the data.  It just doesn't seem that library server could meet my needs--or can it?  Are there some new features I am missing?

It would be great to be able to also "push out" configuration changes...maybe I stupidly set theater view to 15 frames per second and want to globally enforce a new setting of 100 frames per second to clients.  Maybe clients should be system based (to enforce settings via all or specific systems) along with a user login system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up