INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please Provide A Player Control In Theater View Playing Now  (Read 1471 times)

Supersnake

• World Citizen
Please Provide A Player Control In Theater View Playing Now
« on: September 27, 2010, 07:09:52 pm »

Requesting that Theatre View Playing Now be given a player control that appears when you move the mouse to the edge of the screen.  Many other screens have that feature. it's presence in this window would be greatly appreciated.  

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Please Provide A Player Control In Theater View Playing Now
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:35:08 pm »

Playback controls are on the second roller in Playing Now.

And you might consider getting a remote for using Theater View.  It's more fun with touch or a remote than with a mouse.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 08:30:24 pm »

The remote is a great tool for those who need or want one and for that reason rollers are of course needed. However, if someone doesn't need or use a remote the player control is preferable to keyboarding or mousing through rollers.  

Without eliminating those rollers, and also including a cursor sensitive player control, this would still allow people to use their remotes on the rollers. Notice how gracefully a player control appears and disappears in Theater View/Display View - yet Theater View/Playing Now, the place where we like to park and watch, doesn't have one :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 09:11:39 am »

Theater View is designed primarily for keyboard/remote control usage.  The UI is very thoughtfully designed that it can be navigated with ONLY the four arrow keys and the enter key.  While mouse usage is supported, it is certainly not the primary design motivation, and I don't think you're going to convince them to seriously focus on mouse-based input for Theater View (touchscreen input is another story, I expect).

That said... There is the nice "dot" position indicator in the Theater View Playing Now UI.  It would probably be nice for both mouse and touchscreen users if you could "click-drag" on that dot to scrub through tracks.  That could be done without adding any UI elements at all.  Same goes for volume adjustments.  It would be nice to be able to drag the volume "dot" up and down with a finger on a touchscreen (or with a mouse).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 11:01:19 am »

Theater View is designed primarily for keyboard/remote control usage.

True, but may I remind everyone reading this that if one wants to view the "Online media slideshow" you can only see this in Theater View and no where else.  Those of us who want to enjoy the online media slideshows provided by Google Images, Last.Fm, and HTBackdrops have no choice but to view the slideshow in Theater View/Playing Now.  

There is nothing nice about being forced to use keyboard arrow keys and there is nothing nice about functionally limited dots when all the developer has to do is to include a cursor activated player control that appears when you place your cursor at the top edge of the screen. He's already done it in Theater View/Display View so why not also include the player control in Theater View/Display View for those of us who don't want to buy a remote.

With that said...
Am not asking the developers to focus on mouse based input, am only asking to include a player control to what is already in place on that page.  I see nothing difficult in including the control player on that page. Those of you who want to use your remotes can still do so and those of us who don't can use our mouse to pop out the control player.

gappie

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 11:31:35 am »

which build are you using, supersnake. as far as i see, i have usercontrols, but they have been added a few weeks ago for the playing now page.

:)
gab

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 12:10:46 pm »

which build are you using, supersnake. as far as i see, i have usercontrols, but they have been added a few weeks ago for the playing now page.

gab

Version 15.0.118 Gab.  

Notice the player interface that pops out on the Theater View/Display View page, it works flawlessly and looks beautiful, it also recedes out of view when you are finished using it.  The Theater View/Now Playing window should have that too for people who don't have remotes. Even if you had a remote you would prefer to use that pop out interface if you were sitting in front of your computer.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo303/Supersnake_01/2.png
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo303/Supersnake_01/1-1.png

gappie

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 12:24:28 pm »

ah.. im sorry. i understand now. tis because i think display view is part of standard view (and mistakenly putted in thv, since it does not follow any of the thv logic) that the coin did not fall.

guess i might use it. i have a remote, but also a mouse and i have clicked oft enough on the stars below to rate something, realizing that that does not work.

gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up