INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import runs VERY slow  (Read 1472 times)

nerdybaldguy

Import runs VERY slow
« on: October 09, 2010, 11:41:33 am »

Brand new user to JRiver.  I heard good things about it.  I've been using WinAmp Pro for years.  WinAmp can rebuild my entire library spread across several folders in seconds.  I have maybe 12,000 music files.  FLAC and mp3 mostly, but a few AAC.  I am importing one folder at a time.  It is taking forever.  I mean, I'm watching it and it adds at the rate of 1-3 files per second.  At this rate, it will take hours just to do the initial population of my library.  Is this typical?  What is it doing that takes so long?  Why does iTunes and WinAmp build their libraries so much faster? 

I read through the FAQs.... nothing seems to apply.  I'm running with Trend Micro Antivirus.  Task Manager shows Media Center taking 20-35% CPU.  Nothing else in the system shows significant activity.  Older machine running Windows 7 now.  Old Intel Pentium 4 running at 3.2Gz, 3MG memory.  Everything else seems to perform OK.... as I said, no problem loading library in WinAmp.

Is there some setting I have wrong?

Thanks in advance.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Import runs VERY slow
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 12:00:30 pm »

on import, mc can analyze audio, build thumbnails, get coverart. those things can slow down import, but add features for when you need them. it is possible to disable those features in the import settings.

:)
gab

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 01:51:05 pm »

Odd.  You could tell your antivirus program to allow MC.  Same with the firewall.

In options for MC, you can turn off "Audio analysis" and cover art lookup.

Try importing a single folder of a single filetype.  You can do this from Explorer, if you have turned on "Shell Integration" in MC.  Right click on the folder, choose Media Center, import.

Options has a search in the upper right corner.

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 11:56:33 pm »

...if you have turned on "Shell Integration" in MC...[you can] Right click on the folder, choose Media Center, import.

What happens when one chooses "Replace and Play" from that contextual menu?   Would like to find this out first before I try it and cause something to happen that I may not have wanted to happen.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up