INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Netflix "mgmt" for DLNA...?  (Read 2539 times)

steje

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Netflix "mgmt" for DLNA...?
« on: October 19, 2010, 06:25:14 pm »

Ok - hear me out before redirecting to a different area of the forum, there's a reason I posted here instead of "Music and Movie Services" :-).

I've been evaluating MC15 for use as a home media server - initially only for use with my recently purchased Samsung LN40C670 LCD TV. MC15 is naturally soooo much better than the bundled DLNA software from Samsung - which refuses to serve content from USB devices, which is where all my media is archived to. While playing with the combo, I've noticed while playing back media via MC's DLNA server, that the media (at least I recall this being the case for the movies) appear to be accessed by the TV over an HTTP connection... I also noticed MC apparently has a feature called Netflix instant queue; though I haven't found out much about it, what it does, what it doesn't do, etc... but it all got me wondering:

Would it be possible for a DLNA server such as MC to be able to present a DLNA client device like the Samsung TV with a list of media 'referrals' from a source 'remote' to the MC server (such as Netflix) such that the client device could then playback directly from the remote source (as opposed to the content being routed 'through' the MC server). If "technically" possible, I guess such a use-case would be limited to devices that can natively play whatever content format the remote source streams in... but here's my rationale:

Netflix (and other streaming providers from what little I've seen) doesn't provide any sort of organization capability for their queued content... I am steadily sitting at the max number of titles allowed in my queue - and even if I "trimmed" my queue down, the bottom line is that anything over a hundred titles or so becomes burdensome to navigate without some hierarchical structure to it...

Ideally, one could present ones Netflix queue based on genre (or any of the other applicable customizable view criteria that the MV Media Server allows) in order to provide a superior queue management interface for client device navigation...

Woo-hoo...? Or Boo...?

Can anyone refer me to an online source here on the forum that

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Netflix "mgmt" for DLNA...?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 06:41:04 pm »

It's a fine idea.  We could do it.  It would probably require Netflix's cooperation.  Probably Samsung's too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up