INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Nano Not recognized  (Read 3355 times)

Health Nut

• World Citizen
New Nano Not recognized
« on: September 28, 2010, 11:31:21 am »

Hi,

Just purchased the new version Nano, recently released a couple weeks ago: I get an error saying MC does not recognize it.  Has this been fixed?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: New Nano Not recognized
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 01:06:28 pm »

Hi,

Just purchased the new version Nano, recently released a couple weeks ago: I get an error saying MC does not recognize it.  Has this been fixed?

The database is locked down in the new Nano. You can still sync it though you need iTunes on your PC. Tell MC to ignore the iPod in Options->Handheld when it's plugged in. Then remove it. Create playlists for music you want to send to the iPod, then plug the ipod back in and do File->Export to iTunes and iPhone in MC. When the transfer box comes up, uncheck itunes and check your ipod.

Health Nut

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 01:48:07 pm »

Why does APPLE try to force everyone to use iTUNES.  Isn't this anti-competitive?  Is this legal?  Is this an issue that is temporary until Media Center has a workaround?

Health Nut

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 02:02:10 pm »

The database is locked down in the new Nano. You can still sync it though you need iTunes on your PC. Tell MC to ignore the iPod in Options->Handheld when it's plugged in. Then remove it. Create playlists for music you want to send to the iPod, then plug the ipod back in and do File->Export to iTunes and iPhone in MC. When the transfer box comes up, uncheck itunes and check your ipod.

Appreciate the tips... However, it might just be easier to just use iTunes.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 03:14:10 pm »

Why does APPLE try to force everyone to use iTUNES.  Isn't this anti-competitive?  Is this legal?  Is this an issue that is temporary until Media Center has a workaround?

It is not illegal to be anti-competitive unless you are legally found to hold, and have abused, monopoly power over an entire market, and even then it is "iffy".  Companies are anti-competitive all the time.  That's what they do.

Apple is under no legal obligation to support other media player software with their hardware any more than Microsoft is under a legal obligation to support using a Zune with OSX or Linux (hint: they don't).  Now, the fact that they lock it down so much is certainly an a**hole move, and is anti-consumer, but there is no law about that.  They are free to make their products as they see fit.  Sometimes companies use this freedom to do jerky things, but other times they use it to make nice products (and in Apple's case, I'd argue that often the result is both).

The point is that you are under no obligation to buy their products.  If enough people cared, and stopped buying iProducts, Apple would change its behavior.  That's called free market capitalism.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 03:23:19 pm »

Listening to "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" on JRiver Media Center 15.0.

rjm

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 03:59:38 pm »

It is not illegal to be anti-competitive unless you are legally found to hold, and have abused, monopoly power over an entire market, and even then it is "iffy".  Companies are anti-competitive all the time.  That's what they do.

Apple is under no legal obligation to support other media player software with their hardware any more than Microsoft is under a legal obligation to support using a Zune with OSX or Linux (hint: they don't).  Now, the fact that they lock it down so much is certainly an a**hole move, and is anti-consumer, but there is no law about that.  They are free to make their products as they see fit.  Sometimes companies use this freedom to do jerky things, but other times they use it to make nice products (and in Apple's case, I'd argue that often the result is both).

The point is that you are under no obligation to buy their products.  If enough people cared, and stopped buying iProducts, Apple would change its behavior.  That's called free market capitalism.

I love my old nano but probably won't buy another when it breaks. Would be really cool if some super expert on this forum started a thread and educated us on the best non-Apple products on the market to replace the nano, Touch, and iPad.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 07:38:24 pm »

Is this the "sync 'through' itunes" idea that has been discusssed as a possible solution to the apple/MC syncing issue?  In the instructions above, could you tell me what is supposed to happen when you actually start the sync?  Does it sync to the ipod using itunes with no user interation needed in itunes, or does it sync to itunes and THEN you need to separately sync to the ipod, or ?

I'm just trying to find out as much information I can about this in order to avoid any potential headaches when trying it myself.

Thanks,

Larry

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 08:55:17 am »

Is this the "sync 'through' itunes" idea that has been discusssed as a possible solution to the apple/MC syncing issue?  In the instructions above, could you tell me what is supposed to happen when you actually start the sync?  Does it sync to the ipod using itunes with no user interation needed in itunes, or does it sync to itunes and THEN you need to separately sync to the ipod, or ?

I'm just trying to find out as much information I can about this in order to avoid any potential headaches when trying it myself.

Thanks,

Larry
When you do the sync you can choose either to sync to iTunes or directly to the device. Either way, iTunes pops up and does the syncing. When you sync directly to the device, it doesn't add files to the iTunes library.

You choose playlists to sync then do the file->export to itunes & iphone selection.

It's a pretty basic sync for people that don't require extra functionality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up