INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Add custom column for tracking cd location  (Read 1766 times)

dawg68fan

• Recent member
Add custom column for tracking cd location
« on: September 29, 2010, 06:27:28 am »

I have over 600 CD's in my music collection that I have removed from their cases and placed into individual sleeves in my DJ carrying case.  All of these CD's have been ripped into Media Center.
Now this may seem a little strange, but I would like to add a column in Media Center that I can enter the location number that is on the sleeves in my DJ case.  This way I can cross reference the original location of the CD.  I have run into many situations that a friend or family member heard the music I was playing in Media Center and wanted to borrow the CD.  If I had a location number listed in Media Center, I would be able to know what sleeve number to look for in my DJ case in order to pull and lend the CD out.
Has someone done something like this?  If so, how?

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Add custom column for tracking cd location
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 06:51:19 am »

you can add library fields. when you go to options>library & folders>manage library fields, you can add your own field, lets say Location No, make it a string or an integer, and add the field to views. you could even write the info to the files themself.

hope its what you wanted.

:)
gab

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 10:58:58 am »

I too had the same request some time ago, and this is how I implemented it.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/CD_Reference_Number

I've since created numerous views to give me what I want for any given task.  I'll share other views if you'd like them.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 12:57:30 pm »

In addition to tagging just the ripped files, MC can display its CD/DVD database in views and the numbers can be tagged also to the actual CDs. If the CDs were ripped using the current library they are already included in the database.
(Customize View > Included Files > Set rules for file display... > Modify Results > Limit database to: "CD" or "CD; Main")
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrC

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 01:22:56 pm »

One trick I've learned.  *Before* you rip (any new CDs), add your reference ID.  Then, both the ripped tracks and CD in the CD database will contain the same reference ID, making it easy with various views to see both the ripped and .cda tracks.  Otherwise, just add your ID later to the ripped tracks.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 01:32:34 pm »

Otherwise, just add your ID later to the ripped tracks.

Or create a custom view that shows both (= limit database to: "CD; Main"). Then it should be possible to tag also the CDs at the same time (assuming most of the Albums still have the same names they originally had).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrC

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 01:41:17 pm »

Exactly.

At first, I found I didn't care if the ripped tracks had the reference ID.  But it is useful, and I use it all the time.  And I've just add it when I play an album that doesn't yet include it.

So, a view that is sorted by reference ID allows one to quickly scan view reference ID, and another view (or modified versions the stock views) that include the CD database as well, each that includes a column to select the type of track (eg. cd, ripped).

dawg68fan

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 05:28:53 pm »

Thanks everyone for your comments.  I will be trying all of your suggestions and I'm sure one of them will work for me.  JRiver Media Center rocks!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up