INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Failed to Initialize TV Tuner Device" Error During HD PVR Setup  (Read 22811 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Just installed a new Hauppauge HD PVR. When I go to Setup Television in MC the HD PVR shows as a Tuner but when I click on Configure I get the error message "Failed to Initialize TV Tuner Device".

It is the only tuner in the system. It shows okay in XP's Device Manager. An old version of TMT Extreme came with the HD PVR and I installed it. It does show Television from the HD PVR so it's working at least for TMT. Thinking there may be a conflict between TMT and JRiver I uninstalled TMT, rebooted and still no luck. I'm running MC 15.0.122

I have heard a lot of people have troubles with this box, but I had hoped to get further than this. Also this is my first time trying TV with MC.

If there are any HD PVR users out there I'd sure love to hear from you and any suggestions you may have once I get beyond this original hurdle. I also have a USB-UIRT that I would like to use for channel changing - I heard the Hauppauge Blaster is quite problematic. I haven't been able to get any information on the JRiver site about using it to change channels. Anybody?

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Rod

DavidE

• Recent member
Re: "Failed to Initialize TV Tuner Device" Error During HD PVR Setup
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 04:29:07 pm »

You may need to re-register the ArcSoft filters MC uses.

You can search the MC forum for "Failed to Initialize TV Tuner Device" (without the quotes) for this issue.

There is a "Help setting up Hauppauge HD PVR" post from May 22, 2009 about this issue - check it out - here is what i get when i copy that link:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52038.msg355053#msg355053

hope this helps!

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 07:54:59 pm »

You may need to re-register the ArcSoft filters MC uses.

You can search the MC forum for "Failed to Initialize TV Tuner Device" (without the quotes) for this issue.

There is a "Help setting up Hauppauge HD PVR" post from May 22, 2009 about this issue - check it out - here is what i get when i copy that link:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52038.msg355053#msg355053

hope this helps!

Hi DavidE,

Thanks very much for the response and the ideas. I followed your link to the old thread where the person was having the same problem I am. Before I spend a lot of time on this I need to find out if what Yaobing said in a post is still the case.

"In any case, if you only have Hauppauge HD PVR device, guide data is not going to be useful.  Firstly you will not be able to produce a set of channels to associate the guide data with.  Secondly you will not be able to tune to the channels in MC even if the channels existed."

I wonder if these guide and tuning problems - lacks I should say - still exist. If so I will have to go back to SageTV. I think they have full support for the HDPVR including control of the cable box tuning. I'll sure be disappointed if this is the case. I want to use MC for all media, especially since we now have eliminated our receiver and are doing bass management, etc in MC. Since MC can't take another input, such as Sage, our whole audio plan will be back to the drawing board.

Thanks again for the helpful post.

Rod

DavidE

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 07:10:30 am »

Hi Rod,
As far as i know there has been no MC update for HD-PVR to the use the guide and changing STB channels. I try to browse all MC release notes but may have missed something. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will post a reply.

David   

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 07:44:55 am »

Hi David,

Thanks for the prompt response.

This is a MAJOR BUMMER! No guide and no channel tuning with a device that a lot of people are using. With the proliferation of HD more and more will be using the HD PVR as it seems the only way to get HD recorded from satellite or cable. I do wish that JRiver would respond to confirm this is the case, and if so when or if they plan to fully support it.

Back to SageTV, darn it!

Rod

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 08:48:29 am »

Sorry, the situation has not changed. 

The "failed to initialize TV Tuner Device" error can be ignored for this device since it does not have a tuner.

We may in the future add the ability to control an IR emitter to control an external tuner device.  For now, you still can not tune from inside MC.

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 08:58:10 am »

Hi Yaobing,

Thanks for confirming the situation. Must admit it's a big disappointment not to be able to use MC for all media. Hopefully it wont be too long before you have the ability.

Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:56:56 am »

I also have the general sense that many new features are not finished. I can only relate to one area due to fuzzy memory and that is television.

About midway through your MC15 cycle I tried to use it. I have a Hauppauge HDPVR USB tuner which I soon found out from you wont work in MC. Now this is not some obscure device, but is very popular among HTPC enthusiasts for many reasons. I wanted very much to use MC as my only HTPC application because of it's excellent audio and to have a simple one-app system. Unfortunately I now have a more complex system of MC for music and a competing app for everything else.

I don't know if it's possible for JRiver to catch up with other Video apps and get widespread usage without making a huge effort. I would certainly be willing to pay a premium for this and I'll bet many others also would. It could be a two tier product.

On a more positive note, as a music player MC is definitely at the top of the heap. And thanks for all your effort to put it there and keep it there.

Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 10:08:52 am »

Rod,
Most USB TV sticks would work.  Most Hauppage hardware should also work.

It's not possible for us to support all hardware. 

Jim

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 10:22:25 am »

Rod,
Most USB TV sticks would work.  Most Hauppage hardware should also work.

It's not possible for us to support all hardware. 

Jim

Jim,

The reason that the Hauppauge HDPVR is so popular is that it allows recording of encrypted media- in our case from a Cable box. And it does this with extremely good video fidelity. Hauppauge has recently come out with their 'Colossus' which is a PCIe card version.

Cheers,
Rod

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 05:04:05 pm »

Rod,

There is much better support of HD PVR in MC16 now.

MC16 supports a new TV channel type called "STB" channel.  You can scan for such channels using XMLTV data, and specify your HD PVR (or any other capture device) as your capture device (and tell MC which input connection you use).

Your IR blaster will switch channels on your Cable/Satellite set-top-box (you need to place the emitter near the STB's IR receiver of course).

Also make sure you let MC learn buttons 0123456789 on your remote control so you can use them to switch channels.

Yaobing

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 08:38:01 am »

Yaobing,

Thanks very much for the response. Sounds like you are making some good progress in television. I'll give this a try when I get some time.

When you mention "You can scan for such channels using XMLTV data" do you mean that MC now has a built in guide that one can select channels from?

Thanks,
Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 08:56:50 am »

There are several ways to get the EPG data.  Our wiki has more info:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/EPG

nwboater

• MC Beta Team