INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Stream Radio Symphony  (Read 1676 times)

dogleg867

• Recent member
Can't Stream Radio Symphony
« on: October 06, 2010, 03:38:21 pm »

I've been having problems playing Internet Radio stations with Media Center 15 since day one. The only station I can get to play is Folk Alley. This is fortunate because FA is my favorite station, but I also like to listen to Radio Symphony, Radio Jazz, Radioio Dead, and several others. Let me try to discribe the problem as best I can. For simplicity's sake, I'll deal only with Radio Symphony though I have the same problem with the other stations as well. I get the website up on the display screen using one of several methods File>Open URL>www.radiosymphony.com ; or Audio>Connected Media>Google Search>RadioSymphony there are some other ways of doing it as well, but they all produce the same results: I go to the Homepage and select "Play HD" under the Windows OS selections, and nothing happens. The problem is not the HD option because I've tried all the other (lower bit rate) options too with the same results. When I go to Folk Alley's website and click on the "Listen" icon, I get a Dialog Box from Media Center, asking me wether I want to Play the stream or record it. It will take a few seconds of buffering, and then a loud pop, and Folk Alley starts playing. If left unattended, it will eventually cut out, and I'll have to start the stream agian. I consulted with the Help Wiki, and all I can figure is maybe it has something to do with Proxy. This isn't something I'm familiar with and last time I went into my Internet Configuration, I ended up offline for hours and on the phone with Comcast forever. I really doubt if that's the problem, though, because why would it play the one station, but not the others? I'm able to play Radio Symphony or any other Internet Radio station using Internet Explorer, and that's the same browser that Media Center uses. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can't Stream Radio Symphony
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 03:45:17 pm »

Could you provide a few links that don't work?

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 05:51:00 pm »

Radio Symphony
They're using a stupid little streaming plugin, with no direct access to the stream.
From a quick bash with Wireshark, this is the actual WM-HD stream:
Code: [Select]
http://tier1.radiostreamlive.com/radiosymphony_128?MSWMExt=.asfThis works fine in MC, although I can't guarantee that they won't relocate the stream somewhere else :)

-Leezer-

dogleg867

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 01:22:29 pm »

Thanks, Leezer3, that worked great, I'm listening to it now. This also demonstrates that there is nothing wrong with my Proxy configuration.

For Jim H: Please note the above; I was able to stream Radio Symphony using leezer3's link, but when I go there using the Search Engine on Media Center, and click the "Play HD" link, nothing happens. Unfortunately, this is also the case with Jazz Radio, and Radioio streams.

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 04:07:41 pm »

I was able to stream Radio Symphony using leezer3's link, but when I go there using the Search Engine on Media Center, and click the "Play HD" link, nothing happens.

This is not a shortcoming of MC. This site, and others like it, don't want you playing their stream directly in MC—they want you to use their website. Therefore, they use a variety of techniques to conceal the stream. Leezer used a packet sniffer to detect the stream being used at the moment. I found Wireshark too complicated for this one purpose, and therefore use the much simpler URL Snooper 2. Both use WinPcap for capturing packets.

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 09:33:16 pm »

...use the much simpler URL Snooper 2. Both use WinPcap for capturing packets.
 That utility works with the ease you said it would.  Thanks Rick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up