INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Split view  (Read 1925 times)

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
Split view
« on: October 06, 2010, 06:05:21 am »

I've just went to "split view" in the view menu, then "show 2 views". I now have a second panel below the main window; see screenshot:

What I want is for the new panel to show all the files in the directory where the music files are. Or even better, all the files except for the music files which are listed in the panel above.

How can I do this? Thanks!

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Split view
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 01:06:26 pm »

The second view is a completely independent view, just like the first. Just select it, and select what you what you want to view from the tree, including a completely different view.

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 05:19:37 pm »

Thanks, but I want the new view to change with the top view when I select an album. I want the top view to show the tracks, as in the screenshot, and the bottom view to show the files in the folder where the tracks are.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 06:12:23 pm »

Use a Categories-type view for that. It includes a second pane that opens to show track details (on the bottom). It's not the same as a split view. Set the view type at Customize view - View as, then add the categories you would like to use (e.g., Genre - Artist - Album).

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 07:19:42 pm »

wow, that's a lot of Ozric Tentacles!  ;D

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 11:48:52 pm »

;D ;D
obiously someone with good taste

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 04:08:52 am »

Thanks for the input!

I think it is already set up as categories. If I browse in the main window (as opposed to through the tree), then when I click on an artist it opens the albums of that artist in the top pane (just the album covers) and the "file list" view of those albums in the bottom pane.

What I want is essentially the list view in the top pane, with the other files in that same directory in the bottom pane (i.e. the album covers, info files, log file, etc).

I am not sure if a categories view is the answer, as that still operates via the file tags, whereas many of the non-audio files in the directories are not tagged.

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 04:46:09 am »

It's not possible to sync two views. I think your only option is to configure the view to include whatever files you want to see. If the view is based on tags rather than folders, then that means tagging the other files as well. It seems you got some good advice on how to do that in Audio view to show all media types.

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 05:03:03 am »

Yeah, you can see I'm still struggling to get this set up just right!

Perhaps the next build of JRiver could support multiple album art tagging, and have a better album art integration so that album art other than just the front cover can be browsed.

I would suggest having the front cover displayed in a jewel CD case, with the option to "flip" the case to see the rear cover (if the cover is there). Also an option to see the booklet would be good too. Obviously the user would have to obtain the scans himself.

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 01:11:01 pm »

It would be nice to have a way to associate multiple images with albums. But it would have to be done without compromising the simplicity and performance advantages of the current one image to one track relationship. Since multiple images can be saved in most file types, the most obvious approach is to support choosing which of multiple images to display. If that could be done, then it should also be possible to include commands to "flip" images (which would likely be a simple toggle of image 1 and image 2) and the option to display multiple images in a view (maybe just as a cover is now, but with a "back" beside it, if there is one).

I don't think there's any future in associating files with physical media packaging. I understand attachment to jewel cases and shiny disks (we have, after all, been brainwashed by billions of marketing dollars), but these things are going the way of the 8-track. I much prefer a more general approach, where different kinds of files (and not just images) can be associated in different ways. I saw great potential in the Notes feature as a more general tool that would allow any information to be associated with any Category (rather than files). That would have allowed multiple album art, reviews, log files, etc. to be associated with albums, and artist photos, bios, etc. to be associated with artists. The idea was this information would be displayed in a second pane—just as you've asked for. Sadly, JRiver showed no interest in the idea.

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 02:57:49 pm »

It would be nice. And I agree that it should be an option, so as not to compromise things as you say. I like the ideas you mention. As per the jewel cases, this should be an option, and perhaps not the default option if you're against it. But I'm sure many users will find it aesthetically more pleasing, and more like an actual CD collection. There is another popular music organiser available which does this, and it even given the alternative of viewing as if in an LP sleeve. However I went for JRiver as I find it overall more flexible.

You say that JRiver showed no interest in this idea; but surely it will show interest in some improvements to the album art integration as we have discussed. It would seem a no-brainer. As I mention, it can always be a selectable option!
Pages: [1]   Go Up