INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidecar for images  (Read 1131 times)

tonse

• Recent member
Sidecar for images
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:07:01 am »

Is it possible to store Image metadata in a sidecar file. If so, what is the structure of the sidecar file. Is it also possible to import data form a sidecarfile into the Library for Images. How should the sidecarfile be named.

I have written a small tool that can read all the metadata form Images that i need. It would be possible for me to create Sidecarfiles filled with that data. That way i have a workaround for the not so great IPTC support without changing the actual Image

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Sidecar for images
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 01:56:35 pm »

Currently the JRiver Sidecar file format works only with video files. Support for other formats has been requested (images, documents, untaggable audio formats), but I don't know if it is on JRiver's to-do list.

For now, you can import external metadata by using "mpl" xml files. You can study the mpl file structure by creating a playlist of a few tagged image files and exporting the playlist in mpl format.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

tonse

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 02:11:51 pm »

OK, Thanks. I see the structure. It's quit straight forward. But how do you import the data to the library in a way that every image gets the right data.
Do i create a playlist in a folder and then import the playlist??? That way auto-import will not work. Or.......

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 03:56:31 pm »

Do i create a playlist in a folder and then import the playlist???

Yes. File > Import Playlist...

The included file paths can be either standard complete paths or relative. For example:

- complete:  D:\Images\Summer 2010\2010-07-25\IMG001.jpg
- relative, stored in "D:\Images\":  .\Summer 2010\2010-07-25\IMG001.jpg  (this works if the playlist is stored in a location that has the correct subfolder structure)

Auto-import can import metadata from external mpl playlists only if the images (or other media files) are not already in the library. This is a design decision to prevent automatic mpl importing accidentally overwriting library data that may have been intentionally tagged differently.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up