INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 15.0.125  (Read 7462 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Media Center 15.0.125
« on: October 04, 2010, 09:45:09 am »

This is the latest version of MC 15.  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted or moved.  

http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/MediaCenter150125.exe

15.0.125 (10/1/2010)

1. Fixed: Export to iTunes could crash on some iTunes errors.
2. NEW: New interface for tagging list-type fields that supports ordering (right-click to get recently added tags, and other commands).
3. NEW: DLNA server, add more fields (if asked by the renderer) to upnp file directory info (channels, sample rate, etc).
4. Changed: Subtitle presentation order for a specific subtitle resource when the "present subtitles" advanced option is used.

15.0.123 (9/29/2010)

1. Changed: By default, acquiring images from a drive-based camera looks in only the 'DCIM' folder (configurable with Action Window > Camera > Options > Source Path).
2. NEW: Action Window > Camera nicely detects and skips thumbnails with Google Android phones (and deletes the thumbnails if 'Delete file from the source' is enabled).
3. Changed: Action Window > Camera deletes files that have already been acquired if 'Delete file from the source' is enabled (previously it would leave files on source that were already acquired).
4. NEW: Added longer duration television recording cleanup options: Delete after 1 month, Delete after 3 months, Delete after 6 months, Delete after 1 year.
5. Changed: Renamed right-click command on Links bar from 'Customize Links...' to 'Manage Links...' to be more consistent with the right-click > Links menu.
6. Fixed: Near the end of the month, reoccurring scheduler tasks could run too long.
7. Faster: Improved performance of sorting system, helping view loading time (shows in database benchmark).
8. SDK: Added web service (MCWS) functions: Playlists\List, Playlist\Files, and Playlist\Play.
9. Fixed: The MPC plugin could crash on a corrupt APE tag (MPC plugin now automatically compiled against latest reference APE tagging code, just like the APE plugin).

15.0.122 (9/28/2010)

1. Fixed: Thumbnails would not work when a user's application data folder resided on a UNC path.
2. Fixed: Camera acquisition was not working from some types of cameras (WIA).
3. Fixed: Double-clicking an image in a mixed image + audio playlist when the image was at the end could cause a playback error message to be shown.
4. Changed: Improved support for renaming and moving files using a Portable Install.
5. Fixed: Changed how Flickr uploader sends keywords to the server to (hopefully) fix a problem with an extra keyword being added.
6. Changed: Moving a folder with drag-n-drop in the My Computer area of the tree no longer renames on collisions (letting the system rename could cause broken links for moved files).
7. Fixed: Multi-threaded access of input plugins at import time could cause a crash.
8. Changed: DLNA video flag changes for Sony TV and Blu-Ray. May help others as well. Required advanced option "MPEG video mimetype override".

15.0.119 (9/27/2010)

1. Changed: Theater View's default audio 'Recent Albums' view sorts tracks by track number inside an album instead of date imported. (only changes for fresh install or if Theater View views are reset in Options > Theater View)
2. Fixed: A fullscreen detached display could not be restored (only applies to build 118).
3. Fixed: Renamed WASAPI outputs to more compact names: "WASAPI" and "WASAPI - Event Style".
4. Fixed: The about box link for JRiver was broken.
5. NEW: Added support for M3U8 playlists (both to File > Export Playlist, and also to import).
6. Faster: Improved the performance of the program when running in a language other than English.
7. Changed: When doing a sync with Google using Notes, failures are listed in the results popup.
8. Fixed: The mc2xml link in TV > Load Program Guide was broken.
9. Changed: Added more video types to DLNA protocol info for the DLNA server.

15.0.122 (9/28/2010)

1. Fixed: Thumbnails would not work when a user's application data folder resided on a UNC path.
2. Fixed: Camera acquisition was not working from some types of cameras (WIA).
3. Fixed: Double-clicking an image in a mixed image + audio playlist when the image was at the end could cause a playback error message to be shown.
4. Changed: Improved support for renaming and moving files using a Portable Install.
5. Fixed: Changed how Flickr uploader sends keywords to the server to (hopefully) fix a problem with an extra keyword being added.
6. Changed: Moving a folder with drag-n-drop in the My Computer area of the tree no longer renames on collisions (letting the system rename could cause broken links for moved files).
7. Fixed: Multi-threaded access of input plugins at import time could cause a crash.
8. Changed: DLNA video flag changes for Sony TV and Blu-Ray. May help others as well. Required advanced option "MPEG video mimetype override".

15.0.121 (9/28/2010)

Internal testing builds.

15.0.120 (9/28/2010)

Internal testing builds.

15.0.119 (9/27/2010)

1. Changed: Theater View's default audio 'Recent Albums' view sorts tracks by track number inside an album instead of date imported. (only changes for fresh install or if Theater View views are reset in Options > Theater View)
2. Fixed: A fullscreen detached display could not be restored (only applies to build 118).
3. Fixed: Renamed WASAPI outputs to more compact names: "WASAPI" and "WASAPI - Event Style".
4. Fixed: The about box link for JRiver was broken.
5. NEW: Added support for M3U8 playlists (both to File > Export Playlist, and also to import).
6. Faster: Improved the performance of the program when running in a language other than English.
7. Changed: When doing a sync with Google using Notes, failures are listed in the results popup.
8. Fixed: The mc2xml link in TV > Load Program Guide was broken.
9. Changed: Added more video types to DLNA protocol info for the DLNA server.

15.0.118 (9/24/2010)

1. Changed: Double-clicking a single list file in a grouped list will play the grouping instead of the entire list / entire library (starting at the double-clicked file).
2. Fixed: Searching with the search window could crash (only applies to build 117).
3. Changed: When editing in the Tag Action Window, edits happen on top of (instead of on a line below) the clicked value.
4. NEW: Editing long values in the Tag Action Window extends the edit when necessary outside the bounds of the Tag window.
5. Changed: When in-place editing (Tag Action Window or lists), drop lists will size to fit the current text instead of the widest text of any choice in the drop list (since the drop list opens wider than the edit when necessary).
6. Changed: When zooming in on images during image playback, the aspect ratio will remain fixed during animation.
7. NEW: Detached Display has a right-click option 'Hide Borders'.
8. NEW: When writing tags for podcasts, will also write iTunes proprietary tags so the podcast will show up in the right category in iTunes or on an iPod when used with the File->Export to iTunes and iPhone function.
9. Fixed: MPEG override switch in DLNA server options was not working properly.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
Re: Media Center 15.0.125
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:03:24 am »

Guys,

The new in-list edit "Click to Add" is a MASSIVE backwards step from a usability point of view.   Previously, I'd highlight the field, hit F2, make a change and be on my way.  Now I'm presented with 1) Click to Add (I click) 2) A pulldown to list the selections (I pulldown) 3) I have to hit enter to set it (I hit ENTER).  3 ANNOYING steps.  And worse, I can no longer enter data and simply hit down arrow to edit the next field.  I have to go through all the steps above again. 

I *IMPLORE* you to go back to how it was before, which was a very usable and powerful way of editing data.  This new method completely breaks the flow, makes using MC a pain rather than a pleasure and does nothing to improve the software...

Cheers,

Mark

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:39:08 am »

Guys,

The new in-list edit "Click to Add" is a MASSIVE backwards step from a usability point of view.   Previously, I'd highlight the field, hit F2, make a change and be on my way.  Now I'm presented with 1) Click to Add (I click) 2) A pulldown to list the selections (I pulldown) 3) I have to hit enter to set it (I hit ENTER).  3 ANNOYING steps.  And worse, I can no longer enter data and simply hit down arrow to edit the next field.  I have to go through all the steps above again. 

I *IMPLORE* you to go back to how it was before, which was a very usable and powerful way of editing data.  This new method completely breaks the flow, makes using MC a pain rather than a pleasure and does nothing to improve the software...

Cheers,

Mark

Make sure you try a right-click.  It offers a simple way to add recently added values.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Quixote

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:57:01 am »

From 15.0.122

Bug: When editing a Tag in the Tag Action Window, the Tab key does not submit the new Tag value.

Quixote

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 12:04:15 pm »

Make sure you try a right-click.  It offers a simple way to add recently added values.

Please don't require mouse interaction to change values.  If I'm editing tags in the Action Window, I'm just using the tab key.  I shouldn't need to go to my mouse to edit the value.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 12:55:20 pm »

Please don't require mouse interaction to change values.  If I'm editing tags in the Action Window, I'm just using the tab key.  I shouldn't need to go to my mouse to edit the value.

There's nothing inherently keyboard unfriendly about the new approach (and remember the menu keyboard button always simulates a right-click).  If there are keyboard usage issues with the new list UI, please just report them as bugs.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fhelenius

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 01:16:05 pm »

HI
Great program :)

I have one problem which I have written about before.

Under playing now - track  info - the templates really needs some work. I would really like these optimised or developed in such way you can optimize them yourself - also so you can see "the comments"-field. The comments field I use to contain  information about the specific album.

What are your plans here ??

all the best
Frank / Denmark

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 01:23:32 pm »

Make sure you try a right-click.  It offers a simple way to add recently added values.

Sorry, Matt, for me, and I would imagine many users, this is a massive step backwards.  When I import an album the first thing I do is go through and sort out all my tagging issues.  This usually is done on a column by column basis where I start at the top, hit F2 to set a value and then simply hit DOWN ARROW to set that value and move onto the next one.  Or even select a bunch of fields and F2 them all in one go.  Big tagging jobs were always a breeze.

With the new system I have to multiple click EVERY TIME I want to change a field which,  to be blunt, is a massive PITA...

Please, please, please, please, pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaase, change it back.  Please!

Or at least make it a general checkbox option "Make UI insanely unfriendly" ;)

[edit]Oh, and I've just noticed the same functionality is added to the Tagging window.  You know in films when the hero falls to his knees, arms to the sky and screams, "NOoooooooooooooooooooooo".  Well, I'm doing that right now :-([/edit]

CHeers,

Mark

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 01:46:57 pm »

mark_h, you dont use the panes ?
MT5FR

georgem29

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 01:50:03 pm »

I tend to agree with Mark on this; it's a major usability hit.

For example, I track musicians for my Jazz tracks with a custom list field. I tend to select one or more tracks and work from the tag window. Before, to add five musicians it would take me six mouse clicks followed by enter. One to bring up the list, one per musician to mark the associated checkbox, and enter to accept. Now it takes me 21 clicks plus enter to do the same thing. One to enter edit mode, then four for each musician; one to show the combo box, another to open it, another to select the musician, and another (or enter) to accept it.

My initial pass through that genre was tedious enough the old way. I think I would have give up in frustration if it worked as it does now.

rjm

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 01:56:32 pm »

Please, please, please, please, pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaase, change it back.  Please!
Or at least make it a general checkbox option "Make UI insanely unfriendly" ;)

ditto, this is central to how I spend the majority of time in MC and the new UI makes me much less productive when tagging

Quixote

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 02:34:05 pm »

There's nothing inherently keyboard unfriendly about the new approach (and remember the menu keyboard button always simulates a right-click).  If there are keyboard usage issues with the new list UI, please just report them as bugs.

Thanks.

I'm sure there are some good reasons for this change and makes it more flexible (but less usable), but just try tabbing through new interface in the Tag Action Window and make changes to Tags without using the mouse.  Please let me know how "efficient" this is for you compared to previous versions.

gappie

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 02:35:03 pm »

first i want to say that i love the changes.. 8)
I tend to agree with Mark on this; it's a major usability hit.

For example, I track musicians for my Jazz tracks with a custom list field. I tend to select one or more tracks and work from the tag window. Before, to add five musicians it would take me six mouse clicks followed by enter. One to bring up the list, one per musician to mark the associated checkbox, and enter to accept. Now it takes me 21 clicks plus enter to do the same thing. One to enter edit mode, then four for each musician; one to show the combo box, another to open it, another to select the musician, and another (or enter) to accept it.

My initial pass through that genre was tedious enough the old way. I think I would have give up in frustration if it worked as it does now.
i also add a lot of musicians to my jazz tracks.. at least at this moment you can get them also in the right order, and not john coltrane half way the list of whom played on ascension, and the miles davis quintet starts with miles, then wayne, herbie, ron carter.. etc as a normal quintet does..  :)

:)
gab

edit.. to get them more keyboard friendly.. im all for it.

gappie

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 02:53:35 pm »

This usually is done on a column by column basis where I start at the top, hit F2 to set a value and then simply hit DOWN ARROW to set that value and move onto the next one.  Or even select a bunch of fields and F2 them all in one go.  Big tagging jobs were always a breeze.

but f2 down never worked for list fields that way. i use that a lot. but for lsit field it allways gave a popup list. f2>enter>arrow>f2 was the road. i just checked .

gab

rick.ca

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 04:58:22 pm »

The new list edit interface is the response to the request to support ordered lists. These are essential for some data types, like movie credits. Some prefer an ordered lists for things like musicians and people in photos. A keyword-type list is usually unordered (and, if long, really needs to be sorted alphabetically), but for virtually all other list-type fields there is at least potential meaning in the order. But to have a debate over which type of list should be supported is unproductive. If we can't figure out how to effectively support them both in the same interface, then the solution is probably to introduce a new ordered list field type. This new interface could apply to it, and the old to unordered lists. Before considering that approach, however, it would be worthwhile to first establish that handling both data types in one field with one edit interface is not feasible.

D-Kalck

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 03:10:39 am »

15.0.118 (9/24/2010)

1. Changed: Double-clicking a single list file in a grouped list will play the grouping instead of the entire list / entire library (starting at the double-clicked file).
Sorry to insist, but I implore you to add an option to revert to the old behavior, please.
Or, as suggested before, move this feature to the group header.

dcwebman

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 07:40:10 am »

rick.ca probably said it best and it looks like it's time to start this discussion in a different thread, but since there isn't one yet... I just installed an old version to refresh my memory. I can definitely see pros and cons for both methods, but I primarily use the Action window. It does seem a little easier to enter with the new one but DON'T automatically sort it when I enter something. If it's out of the order I want, I can easily drag to reorder. That really applies to the old way too. The selected entries appear at the top. Just allow dragging to reorder there.
Jeff

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 09:08:28 am »

Having played with the new functionality, I still hate the fact that it interrupts the fast tagging flow I'm used to all these years, but I can see the benefit of drag sorting, etc.  One change that would help me (and presumably, others) immensely, is that when I hit F2 to edit the field (the mouse is too fiddly and liable to play the track rather then edit the field), rather than just showing Click to Add and nothing else shown, if the dialogue showed the default choices I've specified in my Library Fields setup with empty checkboxes against them (unless of course they are already filled) - at least then I could click on the choice rather than have to click 'click to add' and then pull down the checkbox etc...  This would go some way to returning the functionality that has now been lost...

In fact, the best solution for everybody: instead of 'click to add' why not present the empty field as per previous versions, which the user can quickly edit, and then add any data below, as per the new method, in the area where they can click and drag to sort.    By removing the 'click to add' and immediately presenting the edit space the problem is solved?  The drag sort them just becomes additional functionality without breaking the existing method...

Cheers,

Mark

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 09:17:33 am »

the mouse is too fiddly and liable to play the track rather then edit the field
That depends on the speed of the double click.  A slow double click will always invoke edit.

gappie

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 09:28:37 am »

Having played with the new functionality, I still hate the fact that it interrupts the fast tagging flow I'm used to all these years, but I can see the benefit of drag sorting, etc.  One change that would help me (and presumably, others) immensely, is that when I hit F2 to edit the field (the mouse is too fiddly and liable to play the track rather then edit the field), rather than just showing Click to Add and nothing else shown, if the dialogue showed the default choices I've specified in my Library Fields setup with empty checkboxes against them (unless of course they are already filled) - at least then I could click on the choice rather than have to click 'click to add' and then pull down the checkbox etc...  This would go some way to returning the functionality that has now been lost...

i see what you mean, when you talk about list fields where data are predefined in the library. i do that in the panes mostly, but i guess it would make sense when they would be presented in the list instead of the dropdown. even when there is already a value.

gab

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 09:37:32 am »

....Dropdown. even when there is already a value.

i think the new system is superb, especially as i don't see all tags, i have no interest to see them, i just want to  see the value for the item i choose...now we have a system where you can do the same thing in 3 differnt way depending on what i tag..that is fantastic.

1) through the panes (no 1 for tagging),
2) "write/fast tag" via a expression
3) ..and now a "new" way to tag

...me like
MT5FR

gappie

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 09:45:07 am »

i think the new system is superb, especially as i don't see all tags, i have no interest to see them, i just want to  see the value for the item i choose...now we have a system where you can do the same thing in 3 differnt way depending on what i tag..that is fantastic.

1) through the panes (no 1 for tagging),
2) "write/fast tag" via a expression
3) ..and now a "new" way to tag

...me like
oh... agree 100 %. i love it, makes tagging fun again. the point here is when somebody set the accepted values in the the library setup for that field. i think somebody does that to choose always out of the same list of, lets say 12, 1 or 2 values.

gab

bergmarmot

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 06:42:29 am »

In principle I like the tool very much but unfortunately it is crashing too often (Theater View) that I consider to use XBMC instead (with Android Tablet as remote control).

Either I do something wrong, but also the DLNA connection from client to server is not working as expected (both MC) ... only music library is accessible (PARTLY) and no pics or video ... :-( I also can not connect the DLNA to a XBMX DNLA server ... seems that there are no standards for DLNA.

I rather spend 100 euro more for an new Android Tablet in combination with the free XBMC than spending 50 euro for this software coming very close to what I am looking for but just not close enough ... especially the stability.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 06:57:33 am »

In principle I like the tool very much but unfortunately it is crashing too often (Theater View) that I consider to use XBMC instead (with Android Tablet as remote control).

Either I do something wrong, but also the DLNA connection from client to server is not working as expected (both MC) ... only music library is accessible (PARTLY) and no pics or video ... :-( I also can not connect the DLNA to a XBMX DNLA server ... seems that there are no standards for DLNA.

I rather spend 100 euro more for an new Android Tablet in combination with the free XBMC than spending 50 euro for this software coming very close to what I am looking for but just not close enough ... especially the stability.

i run MC upnp --> XBMC...

works like a charm, have you tried config the settings ? btw you mean client on the xbox i assume, not server..
MT5FR

bergmarmot

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 07:16:50 am »

i run MC upnp --> XBMC...

works like a charm, have you tried config the settings ? btw you mean client on the xbox i assume, not server..

Thanks Lasse for your reply. I have installed XBMC on my HTPC and in the settings I enabled UPnP ... MC does see the DNLA on the HTPC but when I click connect I get an error message saying that the software is not able to establish the connection. I have no firewall running on the machines. MC is running on my Sony VAIO UX1XN (UMPC) and I run it in Theater View. I can connect to the HTPC when running MC on the HTPC and share the libraries (also when HTPC run DNLA renderer I can not connect to this). So, when sharing the libraries I can control the HTPC but when I watch photos I need to run also on the HTPC in Theater View otherwise the pics are not fullsize. This on its turn is crashing the MC on the HTPC too often that I wanted to try to control XBMC.

"Unfortunately" I will not be at home for one week, but I will try to play around again when I am back. Meanwhile maybe you or somebody else has some tips on the setting I need to get it running in this mode.

Kind Regards,
bergarmot

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 07:23:48 am »

i'm not totally with you..but you do have MC as (upnp/dlna) server and xbmc as client ?!

i thought you run an xbox, i have an original xbox, i have also tested xbmc on a pc as a upnp client, and it worked very well there as well..
MT5FR

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 08:00:22 am »

A crash in theater view is probably a video driver problem.  Try updating it.

Start a new thread for discussion.

bergmarmot

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 08:15:57 am »

A crash in theater view is probably a video driver problem.  Try updating it.

Start a new thread for discussion.

Thanks Jim for your reply. Will start a new thread for this.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 04:02:42 pm »

If I edit an Image with Media Center it removes and does not replace the thumbnail.  I cannot get the thumbnail back without deleting and reimporting.

I think this has been a problem for a while on MC15, but is definitely working fine in 14.

I didn't see anything in the change log, but it appears to be fixed - cheers  :)

vagskal

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 02:42:04 am »

This is just a friendly reminder that this issue still persists:

If an mp3 file (ID3v2.3 tags only) has a cover art image embedded by MP3Tag, adding an image to that file in MC does not replace the old image but adds a second image to the music file (when the option to save cover art to the music file is selected). Also MC cannot remove cover art images in mp3 files embedded with MP3Tag.

This is discussed in more detail in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=58612.msg396806#msg396806

MusicHawk

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2010, 11:22:45 am »

The new in-list edit "Click to Add" is a MASSIVE backwards step from a usability point of view.

I agree with this reaction, the behavior changed in 15.0.125 is a major loss in practical usability, yet an improvement in flexibility.

For my library, which uses many list-type fields, MC's UI is now very, very slow for tagging -- yet it used to be far-and-away the fastest. Since tagging tons of tracks almost every day is 99% of what I do with my library, I'm stopped dead.

The change seems to give ORGANIZING the list higher priority than USING the list. But organizing a list is a once-in-a-while task, while actual tagging is a constant need. The UI priority is backwards.

Suggestion: Perhaps the new mode needs a new invocation. Leave F2 and double-click as they were -- open the full list for selection. But also provide a way to invoke the new behavior (F-something-else, or Ctrl+F2, or an option once the list is open the "normal" way, or whatever). Please restore the old behavior as the default, and provide the new behavior as an option.

It's not a theoretical step backward. I just returned from a trip where I acquired a huge stack of vinyl albums (thrift shops in small towns are a goldmine) to rip then tag (turntable is spinning right now). This will yield hundreds of new tracks that won't be in YADB or equivalent, so I must type/select every field value. I can't possibly do all this list-field tagging in the current MC UI -- I tried.

So, I'm forced to stick with 15.0.122 on my tagging PC so I can work quickly. (I'm already sticking with 15.0.080 on my playback PC to retain MC's "classic" HTML+COM visualizations.)

PS: I really appreciate the improvements added to .122 to expand fields when edited. It's the .125 change that is regressive.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up