INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice about NAS and MC15  (Read 1718 times)

Valvefan

• Recent member
Need advice about NAS and MC15
« on: October 13, 2010, 04:55:50 pm »

Hi All

I've been using Media Center for 2 years.  Just replaced my PC with a fanless, silent Win 7 64 bit machine with internal 60GB SSD.  Obviously I'll need external storage for music files.  I just got a NAS device and router.  If I put my music files on the NAS will MC15 be able to "see" and play my files?  The NAS is a D-link DNS 323 and it is supposedly UPnP capable.  I plan to use an ethernet connection rather than wireless.  Does this plan sound reasonable?

Thanks

Valvefan

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need advice about NAS and MC15
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 02:11:35 pm »

If it's a NAS you could just connect to it as a windows share and import the files into your MC library. If it does DLNA (UPnP) properly (is searchable), you could connect it as a library using DLNA instead.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 05:30:34 am »

Hi All

I've been using Media Center for 2 years.  Just replaced my PC with a fanless, silent Win 7 64 bit machine with internal 60GB SSD.  Obviously I'll need external storage for music files.  I just got a NAS device and router.  If I put my music files on the NAS will MC15 be able to "see" and play my files?  The NAS is a D-link DNS 323 and it is supposedly UPnP capable.  I plan to use an ethernet connection rather than wireless.  Does this plan sound reasonable?

Thanks

Valvefan

To answer your queston ... yes.

I use a NAS to store my library and all my media.  I have the same drive letter mapped to it from all my machines so that they can all play the files as "local" files rather than them getting streamed via the Library server. (I run my main HTPC as a MC Library server and all other machines connect as clients)

If you need help setting this up, or clarification on anything then just ask as there are plenty of people here who have various NAS solutions and almost all are more than happy to provide guidance.

Although your NAS supports UPnP, I wouldn't go that way myself as you'll not get all the benefits of using the MC library.

Richard

MikeDC

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 03:26:54 pm »

If it's a NAS you could just connect to it as a windows share and import the files into your MC library. It it does DLNA (uPnP) properly (is searchable), you could also just connect it as a library using DLNA.

How do I just connect a library (residing on a NAS) rather than import the files?  (Sorry, total nube here.)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 10:39:58 am »

How do I just connect a library (residing on a NAS) rather than import the files?  (Sorry, total nube here.)
If the NAS can be a DLNA serever AND it is searchable, you can connect to it as a library by doing:

File->Library->Connect to Library
Choose your NAS under DLNA Media Servers

If it's successful, the library will just load. If you get "There was a problem trying to load a library from the selected DLNA server" then your NAS doesn't support searching. If you don't see the NAS at all in the DLNA Media Server box, the NAS doesn't support being a DLNA server.

If you aren't successful, you'll need to just connect to the NAS as a windows share and use that share as an import folder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up