INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tivo and J River  (Read 1766 times)

szhleppy

Tivo and J River
« on: October 15, 2010, 01:44:31 pm »

Tivo newbie here looking to use the J River software to reduce the number of boxes in my home theater and improve the overall user interface.  I've searched through this forum for a few hours but haven't quite found the answers to my questions....maybe I'm trying to do the impossible here.

Equipment:
Tivo Premiere
Cox Cable is the service provider.  The Tivo is hardwired to a wireless-N router.
WD Sharespace NAS
The NAS holds Apple Lossless audio files and MP4 video files.  It is connected to a wireless-N range extender in the home office.

Background:
I currently use the old version AppleTV 160GB with ATV Flash software to stream the Apple Lossless and MP4 files in addition to the Tivo Premiere which I use for regular TV, amazon movie rental, web videos, and a Rhapsody trial.  The Rhapsody trial through Tivo sounds fairly impressive, which is why I am considering getting rid of the Apple TV if streaming through Tivo will work.  Ideally I would like to eliminate the AppleTV box and access everything through J River on Tivo for an easier interface.

Questions:
With the J River plug-in for Tivo, will I be able to stream the Apple Lossless audio and MP4 video files through the Tivo?
...if yes, a couple of questions on the details:
Will this solution require the Tivo Desktop software to be running on a computer on the network?
Will this solution work better if the NAS is hardwired to the same router as the Tivo?
...if no, any suggestions that I'm not thinking of? 

Thanks for your help everyone.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Tivo and J River
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 02:08:35 pm »

For Apple Lossless support, you may need filters installed:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/MP4_and_M4A_File_Support
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 02:09:13 pm »

The TiVo premiere isn't listed as as supporting the TiVoBack protocol which enables video support. We don't support TiVoback either.

szhleppy

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 03:46:51 pm »

I appreciate the responses...thanks!  I will most likely go forward with the J River plug-in for Tivo.  At the end of the day the convenience to access audio files from the Tivo is my main priority...I don't anticipate that the MP4 video files will be an issue for me and I can revisit this next year when my Tivo commitment is over (I'm in the 30 day trial phase right now, but Tivo is definitely a step up from my cable provider's DVR).  Hopefully by that point either the Tivo will support everything I am looking for OR there will be an option for HTPC software to deliver everything from a single box (particularly cable TV). 

Either way, I think that becoming familiar with the J River interface is a solid investment based on it's flexibility and the information I'm learning from browsing through this forum. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up