INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compilations and iPod sync - what is the best way to use them?  (Read 2861 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Compilations and iPod sync - what is the best way to use them?
« on: October 21, 2010, 10:50:34 pm »

I am setting up a sync with my library and a iPod 160GB. The sync works fine - however I have a hard time browsing my collection on iPod. The problem pertains to how to effectively browse multiple artists album.

Inside MC15, I browse music via Genre\Album Artist(auto)\Album hierarchy - which works really well. Because of the size of the library, it is not possible to effectively browse using Artist\Album or other such hierarchy. Under iPod, I browse music via Genre->Artists->Albums menu. This doesn't work so well in iPod for the multiple artists' album.
There are 2 ways that I know of on handling multiple artists' albums (aka compilation albums).

* Compilations settings on iPod are disabled. Compilations are not shown inside iPod. All artists in compilations album appear in the artists list under Genre. This just increases the total number of artists under many genres to an unmanageable number with many artists having only 1 or 2 tracks. Not usable.

* Compilations settings on iPod are enabled. In this case, Under Genre in iPod, there is no menu similar to "(Multiple Artists)" in MC15. Under Genre, only single artist album's artists are listed. If I click on All Albums, I do see all the albums (including compilations and single artist albums). Multiple Artists' albums are available under Compilations - however these combine compilations albums for all the Genres.

In effect, there is no way to effectively browse compilations for a specific genre.

Is there any solution or a best-known-method on how to handle such scenarios?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Osho

prod

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Play nice
Re: Compilations and iPod sync - what is the best way to use them?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 07:38:56 am »

Not much of a solution, but you might have to create your own smartlist for each genre in which there is a compilation album.

Thing is ... a compilation by its very nature may have multiple genres in it ... a Top 40 Jazz Classics compilation wouldn't of course, but a Rolling Stone Magazine Top 40 would.

Complicated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up