INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA: Error: Custom playlists/smartlists and links disappears  (Read 2437 times)

DSKO

• Junior Woodchuck
DLNA: Error: Custom playlists/smartlists and links disappears
« on: October 25, 2010, 06:01:35 am »

When reconnecting to (the same) external DLNA server (Twonky),
all my custom playlists/smartlists and custom links disappear.

I am using MC 15.0.136.

Espen

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA: Error: Custom playlists/smartlists and links disappears
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 05:21:07 pm »

The playlists are temporary because of the way a DLNA library is loaded. They persist until the next time you load a library (which essentially creates a MC library from the DLNA server info).

DSKO

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 07:43:28 pm »

The playlists are temporary because of the way a DLNA library is loaded. They persist until the next time you load a library (which essentially creates a MC library from the DLNA server info).

Well, I hope you agree that we can't have it like that...

I can understand that a plain playlist is associated to and dependent on a library,
but I can't see why smartlists and links should be.

Espen

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 11:09:56 am »

Well, I hope you agree that we can't have it like that...

I can understand that a plain playlist is associated to and dependent on a library,
but I can't see why smartlists and links should be.

Espen

I think I see why the smartlists and links go away as well, I believe they are part of the library.
To change this, it seems we would need a way to make a DLNA connected library persist across a reload.
Right now, when one stops and restarts MC the remote DLNA library still exists but when you reload it from the "Connect to Library" function you are essentially throwing away the old library. I don't think DLNA requires the servers container ID's to be consistent across restarts so I'm not sure how one would do a "merging" connect (kind of thinking out loud here).

Perhaps instead one could expose the playlists on the server to the controller (if the server will give them)?

I can see why our Library server works better in this multiple computer scenario but I assume you can't use it in your setup.

DSKO

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 12:08:47 pm »

I think I see why the smartlists and links go away as well, I believe they are part of the library.
To change this, it seems we would need a way to make a DLNA connected library persist across a reload.
Right now, when one stops and restarts MC the remote DLNA library still exists but when you reload it from the "Connect to Library" function you are essentially throwing away the old library. I don't think DLNA requires the servers container ID's to be consistent across restarts so I'm not sure how one would do a "merging" connect (kind of thinking out loud here).

Perhaps instead one could expose the playlists on the server to the controller (if the server will give them)?

I can see why our Library server works better in this multiple computer scenario but I assume you can't use it in your setup.

If the idea is that you can access the same playlists and links from multiple MC instances,
when using a central MC library, then storing smart-/playlists and links in the library is of course a good thing.

But also, it should be possible to use smartlists and links independently of a specific library.
For smart-/playlists; why not define two categories under the "Playlists" container:

Global (locally/Registry stored smart-/playlists; picks from all (connected) libraries)
Library (library stored smart-/playlists )

Then you can choose yourself what kind of smart-/playlists you want to create and use.

For links, maybe a "Library independent"/"Global" option for the link in the "Manage Links" window?

Espen

DSKO

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 08:33:27 pm »

Can you please address this problem?

In order to let MC15 recognize tag and file updates on the DLNA server (Twonky),
like it is now, I need to reconnect to the DLNA server
(see thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57750.0#lastPost).

But if I do that, I loose all my playlists and links...

Espen

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 04:25:37 pm »

Can you please address this problem?

In order to let MC15 recognize tag and file updates on the DLNA server (Twonky),
like it is now, I need to reconnect to the DLNA server
(see thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57750.0#lastPost).

But if I do that, I loose all my playlists and links...

Espen
We are trying to come up with a way to handle this. Of course, using our library server for the backend instead of DLNA to Twonky solves this. The main trouble is that DLNA isn't particularly well suited to the task. For example one can't sync back changes using DLNA where  you can with our library server. Still, there is probably something we can do to at least deal with the playlist problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up