INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug in Volume Leveling  (Read 2813 times)

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
Bug in Volume Leveling
« on: October 26, 2010, 04:40:06 am »

I made a copy of one mp3, renamed it and deleted the replay gain (which is -16 dB), added both to a testing playlist.
The two play with the same volume level ...
Listen to the song with the gain adjustment, then go to DSP Studio, my Adjustment is set to "Fixed", change it to "Automatic based on ..." and the volume level increases after a while.
Change the Adjustment back to "Fixed" - the volume level is lower than initially.

thx

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Bug in Volume Leveling
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 04:45:18 am »

It's much easier to reproduce - simply disable and enable "Volume Leveling" ...

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 09:16:52 am »

Have the same problem and did almost the same test but didn't know how to get rid of the Replay Gain value. I thought I could edit it to some crazy value like you tried but it is not selectable. I turned off volume leveling in the DSP Studio and the Network setings and various combinations and heard no volume change. I tried to set the fixed about to the most it would let me at -18 and still no sound change.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 10:25:19 am »

Hi guys, I'm a bit confused here. Are you saying there is trouble with volume leveling in MC without regards to DLNA volume leveling?

Also, what types of files are you deleting the replay gain from Tom?

Thanks...
Bob

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 10:50:01 am »

Only DNLA for me to a non MC device like the WDTV Live. I have not had a chance to test it to XBMC with replay gain processing off. I just posted on this because this thread is the bug report. Original thread was started on Media Network Forum.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=60151.0

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 12:48:44 pm »

Ok, got it, it's only a problem with DLNA. It should be fixed in the next build. In the meantime, if you change the encoder to "uncompressed stream L16 no header" instead of one of the MP3 profiles, you should get the replay gain applied on your WDTV.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 12:55:04 pm »

No - not only DLNA - I did this test locally on my computer ...
The file I tried was mp3.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 01:02:17 pm »

Have the same problem and did almost the same test but didn't know how to get rid of the Replay Gain value. I thought I could edit it to some crazy value like you tried but it is not selectable. I turned off volume leveling in the DSP Studio and the Network setings and various combinations and heard no volume change. I tried to set the fixed about to the most it would let me at -18 and still no sound change.

Click on the file, show the Tag "Replay Gain", edit it ... there is a drop down ... you can select "nothing" but not enter any value ...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 01:05:23 pm »

I think you're actually documenting a feature.

When a file has no Replay Gain, Media Center will use the average of all files _with_ Replay Gain in Playing Now as the Replay Gain for that file.

There is no correct way to fill in a donut hole, but guessing it will be like the other playing files is smarter than guessing "0 dB" which would likely cause the file to be played much too loud.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 01:10:44 pm »

Just to be clear though, there WAS a problem with replay gain, DLNA and the mp3 encoder. It wouldn't do the conversion if the source file was mp3 OR if there was an existing mp3 file in a stack from handheld conversion.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 01:42:27 pm »

As I wrote it's easy to reproduce:
" ... simply disable and enable "Volume Leveling" ... " in the DSP studio - there is no DLNA - just try it locally on your computer and you will hear the difference.

thx

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 01:46:32 pm »

As I wrote it's easy to reproduce:
" ... simply disable and enable "Volume Leveling" ... " in the DSP studio - there is no DLNA - just try it locally on your computer and you will hear the difference.

thx

Did you read my response?  I believe what you are seeing is normal.  A file with no replay gain is special.

If you believe there is still a problem, please provide (another) step-by-step for us to reproduce.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 02:28:23 pm »

Did you read my response?  I believe what you are seeing is normal.  A file with no replay gain is special.

If you believe there is still a problem, please provide (another) step-by-step for us to reproduce.

Thanks.

Sorry for that - this feature explains a few of my findings - with that explained I created a playlist with one song deleted replay gain, the same song with -16 dB and 20 songs with ~+20 dB ... the first songs volume was totally increased. This worked now with DLNA and locally.

What confuses me is simple to reproduce, here step by step:
*) Put one song (e.g. with -20 dB) into a newly generated playlist
*) assume that volume leveling is enabled and set to Mode="Track Based" and Adjustment=Fixed.
*) Double click on the file - it starts playing.
*) Go into the DSP Studio and disable the volume leveling - you will hear the volume level increasing - as expected.
*) Enable volume leveling - the volume is now much lower than before - this is what made me assume that there is still a bug.

thx

Pages: [1]   Go Up