INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Difficulty making "Disk Location" view  (Read 1511 times)

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
Difficulty making "Disk Location" view
« on: October 27, 2010, 02:12:16 pm »

I'm trying to add a tree view based on disk location. I right-click on the Audio tree node and go to "add library view", then choose "Disk Location". A panes view then appears with my root directory (z:) in the first pane, and the albums in the second pane. However, I don't want the root directory to be the root in that pane.

So I right-click on that pane and go to "edit". I am able to set the category as a "file path" and have the option to "select path". I then select the path as "Z:\Music\Alistair Deering's HD\" and click OK.

The pane then displays "All Locations (Z:\Music\Alistair Deering's HD\)", and below this "unassigned". If I click on the the "all locations" bit then the main pane says "there are no files". If I click on the "unassigned" then my whole library appears in the main window. How can I browse via the first pane using disk location, but have the root as the folder mentioned above?

Thanks!

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Difficulty making "Disk Location" view
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 03:26:34 pm »

In Rules for file display, include [Filename (path)] starts with Z:\Music\Alistair Deering's HD\.

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:31:06 am »

Thanks Rick. I added that rule for file display as you suggested.

Now, the pane displays "All Locations (Z:\Music\Alistair Deering's HD\) (0)" and the main window still says "there are no files".

Any ideas? Thanks

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 02:59:43 pm »

First of all, forget my first suggestion. You already used the full path in the definition of the File path category, so the restriction is redundant.

Now, understand that while this will provide a "tree view," it's still just a category. It's only using the folders in the file path as a nested list for files in the library. In other words, selecting a particular folder in that category will simply display the files in your library that are in that folder (or sub-folders of that folder). So, your results suggest none of the files in your library are in the specified path. If Z: is a network share, maybe you need to select it differently in the Browse for folder dialog (sorry, I don't use a network). :-\

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 04:33:40 am »

Thanks Rick - you're correct, the z: is not in my library. In fact, that is the reason I want to add it as a separate view under audio, to save me adding the whole lot to my library at the moment. Is this possible, to have a view based on disk location under the "audio" node for files which are not in the library?

Ta

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 12:02:05 pm »

bump

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 12:11:07 pm »

Is this possible, to have a view based on disk location under the "audio" node for files which are not in the library?

I don't know.  I don't use that type of workflow.  ALL files in my media disk locations are kept in my library.  We need an answer from someone who does use their library that way...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 01:46:44 pm »

Is this possible, to have a view based on disk location under the "audio" node for files which are not in the library?

No. That's what Drives & Devices is for. Other views are Library views—they only show items included in the library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up