INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion: Unification of the views  (Read 873 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Suggestion: Unification of the views
« on: October 27, 2010, 05:30:23 pm »

I'm fairly new to JRiver and I'm finding the customisation of views a little confusing.  As far as I can see there are 3 different view "libraries", each maintained independently.  Library views (i.e. the main MC front-end), Web views, and DLNA views.  I mainly use an external controller/browser via DLNA but also like to browse via MC itself for maintaining the library and tagging etc, therefore I like to have my library views the same as my DLNA views so that my collection is browsed in the same way, but have to set them up and maintain them independently.

Is there merit in having one central Views Library, and then in each of the servers you simply select which views from the Library you want to use for that server?

To maintain backwards-compatibility, the upgrade process could automatically create central views from views that already exist in the separate servers, prefixing them with a name such as "[Library Server] Albums by Artist" or "[DLNA Server] Genres" and pre-select them in each server?

From the software developers' point of view, it also means that enhancements to the views only need to be made in one place?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Suggestion: Unification of the views
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 05:42:52 pm »

If you have Standard View library views you like, you can add them the DLNA or Theater View using Add... > Library Item From Standard View.

You're right that it's a little complex allowing independent configuration, but it also provides flexibility people depend on.  For example, my DLNA box is slow and can only view a single level at a time.  This makes it so the views that work well for it are different than what I like for Standard View, where lists of 100s or 1000s of items is no problem, and also where you can see several category lists at once with panes.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

csimon

Re: Suggestion: Unification of the views
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 06:15:10 pm »

OK, I didn't know about Add Item from Standard Views, I'll investigate that.  Although in my experience, the setup for the views in each server is slightly different and offer different options, but can't remember off-hand what it was, I'll have a look.  Once an item is added in this way, is the link maintained so that if you change it in Standard Views it also changes in DLNA views, or is the link broken when you add it?

I understand that people may indeed want different views for different situations, I don't think what I was proposing forces the same views for everything, it just allows you to use the same views if you want to without setting them up again and allows maintenance of the views via the one tool rather than a different tool for each one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up