INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sort by Directory Structure  (Read 1187 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Sort by Directory Structure
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:21:05 am »

I would love to view the artist list by "Directory Structure" not from the Artist Tags.

Someone helped me do this, in essence, with my images.  But Im not sure if I should do the same for music.

Thanks!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

raldo

Re: Sort by Directory Structure
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 07:58:35 am »

I would love to view the artist list by "Directory Structure" not from the Artist Tags.

Someone helped me do this, in essence, with my images.  But Im not sure if I should do the same for music.

The reason why I've organized my images by folder is that I find a folder the natural place to put my images when I import them from my camera. I've tagged many of my images with year, people, geo tags, caption,  etc, all which are stored in the image (iptc, exif, xmp ms photo 1.2 etc).

There is no "album" tag associated with any of the abovementioned standards so a named folder seems natural to me. Any other ideas which fit with the "metadata in the file pattern" and I'm all ears!

With music, I don't see the point in using the filesystem location for display in MC. Locate your albums in folders, but use the metadata in the file for display.

tombert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 12:48:40 pm »

Same here ... images are organized and mainly searched by folders ... music (mostly) by metadata ... although I have grouped my music into sampler, klassik, jazz, ...

pcstockton

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 02:33:56 pm »

I definitely hear you guys....

I just have some folders with multiple artists and like them to show up in the same place.  But i dont want to mess with the tags.

For example....
I have a folder "John Zorn"
Inside are albums tagged with the following artists:

John Zorn
John Zorn - Masada
John Zorn - Naked City
John Zorn - Painkiller
etc....

I like them to all be sorted in the same folder as i have them saved.
thx,
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

gappie

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 03:02:35 pm »

but you use one very powerfull tagging program. so use it i can only advise you. you can make your own fields in the database, and with that you have a lot of options. one thing i did, was adding a field called, artists (plural) and made it a list field. now you can add more artists in one field and use sort it as you like. for instance with john zorn i put both values than in the new artists field that way i can find things under john zorn, or bar kokhba, or nacked city, or MyCale, etc etc.

there are ways to use the filestructure though. when you customize a view, you can add filepath at the left side of the forn, and let it start at any place.

hope it helps

:)
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up