INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating tags from file names  (Read 833 times)

justinp

• Recent member
Creating tags from file names
« on: June 17, 2002, 09:00:01 am »

I am currently ripping using EAC and then trying to use something else (MJ in this scenario) to batch encode.  The problem I am running in to is getting the tag information populated without a bunch of manual labor!  One of the problem I am running into is the option of creating the tags from the filenames when importing them into MJ.  I am using a "filename template" of (TRACK#) ARTIST - TRACK.  This works ok when the ARTIST is a single word but if it is multiple words then everything but the first word gets added to the song title instead of being split at the " - ".  Is this a bug or am I not specifying the "filename template" correctly?

Additionaly I would like to know if there is a way to prevent certain information in the filename being added to the track name, e.g. all my tracks are named (TRACK#) ARTIST - TRACK which results in (TRACK#) being added to the track name which is not desirable.  Again, is this a bug, limitation, or mis-use on my part

Thanks

Justin

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Creating tags from file names
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2002, 09:18:51 am »

For the first part, try removing the spaces between the fields. (Media Jukebox 8.0 treats " - " sort of like three separators... the next version of MJ will be smarter with multicharacter dividers) So, (TRACK#)ARTIST-TRACK

Does that help?

Also, you should check out "Digital Secure" ripping in MJ if you like EAC.

Take care.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

justinp

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2002, 09:36:29 am »

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the suggestion, it worked!  Now my second question is just more relevant though as it seems like MJ leaves ALL the information in the track name, is there anyway to configure it so that elements that are imported into tag fields are removed from the name?  I guess probably not  Perhaps there could be a check box in a future version that enables this?

I was pleased to discover the "Digitally Secure" ripping mode just this weekend, I did give it a try but I couldn't figure out how to just rip without encoding so that I could batch encode later?  On that subject I really like the batch encoding interface, it would be great if you could add the ability to specify how many threads could be used for conccurent encoding!

Thanks

Justin

justinp

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2002, 09:46:31 am »

One other little "nit" I just noticed, MJ doesn't remember the state of the "Get file information from filename/directory" checkbox so I have to re-check it everytime, not a major problem but irksome when I forget

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2002, 09:47:59 am »

Rip to "Uncompressed Wave" if you don't want any compression.  And typically (unless you have multiple CPU's), you only want one encoding thread for best performance.

About the way MJ names a track name, you can do a File Properties -> Tools -> Rename from File Properties... to make the filename whatever you like.

Also, how files are named during ripping is configurable in options.

Hoping that helps.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2002, 09:51:28 am »

>> the next version of MJ will be smarter
Well How About

1. If There Is A "-" At Chr Pos 2, 3 Or 4 Then That Is The Track Number (You Can Also Check To Make Sure It Is A Valid Val)

2. Count The Dashes In A File Name, And Check ID3 Tag Field If Blank Use File Name Info.

Samples
a. If There Is 1 Dash And It Is At Position 2, 3, Or 4 The Part One Is Track# Part Two Is Song Name
b. If There Is 1 Dash And It Is beyond Chr 4 Then Treat The File Name As "Artist - Song Name" Or "Song Name - Artist"
c. If There Is 2 Dashs And The First Dash Is The Second Dash Is Lest Than Len(5) Then Treat File Name As "Artist - Track# - Song Name"

Etc...

There Are Many Standard Formats That Can Be Checked For
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

justinp

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2002, 10:49:23 am »

> About the way MJ names a track name, you can do a File Properties -> Tools -> Rename from File Properties... to make the filename whatever you like.

I want to keep the filenames as they are so that if I need to move them elsewhere the (Track#) Artist - Trackname.mp3 is still preserved.  What I am trying to do is get the Trackname tag to only have the trackname (when importing) rather than the whole filename which is what I am getting now.  Does that description make sense?

Thanks

Justin

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2002, 11:01:42 am »

If there is no tag, the filename gets used as the name field during importing.  You can change it later with in-place editing or the file properties system...

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2002, 11:41:45 am »

"Additionaly I would like to know if there is a way to prevent certain information in the filename being added to the track name, e.g. all my tracks are named (TRACK#) ARTIST - TRACK which results in (TRACK#) being added to the track name which is not desirable."

I think you can just write (IGNORE) ARTIST - TRACK# in the rule (I don't know if the IGNORE has to be in parentheses.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

justinp

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2002, 01:43:57 pm »

Eureka!

Something somebody said made me go and look at the possible tags again and I found the answer!

My original "filename template" was (TRACK#) ARTIST-TRACK which caused the whole filename to be used as the track name.

Using (TRACK#) ARTIST-TITLE instead gets me exactly the result I wanted, the track, artist, and song title are all correct with no extra baggage

Now I just have one more question on the subject...where are all these variables (TRACK#, ARTIST, etc) defined in the docs so I can tell exactly which ones represent what?

Thanks to all who helped!

Justin
Pages: [1]   Go Up