INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Occassional audio dropouts  (Read 1789 times)

gtp600

• Recent member
Occassional audio dropouts
« on: November 24, 2010, 02:33:57 pm »

I have recently upgraded to MC15 (from MC14), hoping that it might fix the following problem, but it hasn't.

I notice occassional audio dropouts of roughly 1-2 seconds during playback, then the track resumes. Problem seems fairly random. I can listen for up to 2+hrs at times and not notice any instances. Other times it might happen a couple times an hour. As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be related to any of the following:
- changes in track sample rates (I have files ranging from 44.1 to 192)
- playing files from memory (or not)
- pre-buffering/output buffering combinations (I've tried pre-buffering up to 10s while changing output buffering from .5s to .05s
- WASAPI vs WASAPI Event Style output modes
- Track Change, Stop, Seek, Skip settings (currently using "gapless" wherever it's an option, others are "normal")

If I had to pinpoint one thing, it would be that I didn't notice the problem until I upgraded my USB DAC. See below.

My current setup is as follows. The PC is only used for music playback with JRiver MC.
- Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
- Sony VAIO Dual Core E5400, 4GB Ram
- Music Library resides on the internal SATA drive
- Ayre QB9 USB DAC (w/Class 2 Audio upgrade and recommended Ayre Class 2 USB driver)
- DAC is isolated on its own USB controller

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Occassional audio dropouts
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 02:51:51 pm »

Welcome to Interact.  That's not a known problem, but there are a lot of possible conflicts.  In my signature, there is a thread called "Weird Problems."  It has two pages of problems and their solutions.  There are a few similar problems there.

Did you try Ayre?  I believe there may be updated firmware.

gtp600

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 09:36:45 am »

Thanks Jim.

I made a pass thru your "Weird" problems section a couple days ago (before posting), and noticed some older entries related to interactions with antivirus SW.
About the only other application running on my PC is NAV 2011. I had already disbaled Idle Time Scans (I use scheduled scans outside my listening windows), and
I have since disabled the NAV Performance Monitoring feature as well. Still having the problem.

Yes, I am in touch with the folks at Ayre as well, to see if it could be related to the Audio Class 2 USB driver or DAC FW. Nothing definitive yet.

This is really the only glitch in my system. I do not notice any other types of hiccups, stuttering, or audio related problems. Just the occasional, complete audio dropout.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 11:58:50 am »

Is the music stored locally or on a networked server?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 12:19:23 pm »

It could be many things, but that does sound like it could be an anti-virus problem.  Anti-virus applications, by design, block access to files until they've been scanned.  If the system is periodically unable to "fill" the pre-read cache quickly enough because the AV software is interfering, then it could cause random drop-outs.  Any chance you'd be willing to try completely uninstalling NAV and testing?  That would help rule that out as a potential cause.  Assuming you have your license key and installer for NAV saved, you can always re-install it later.

Norton AV is fairly notorious for being "heavy" on the system.  If the version you have is a "full protector" that includes network protection, then this could also be causing the issues if the files are stored on a network share.

It could also be a problem with the DAC and/or drivers, of course, or a network problem if the files are stored on a network share.  The other thing I'd try is completely uninstalling the DAC and then starting over from scratch.

0. Make sure you have the latest Firmware for your DAC.  This could certainly fix the issue if there was a bug discovered.
1. Remove DAC drivers (while DAC is still connected).
2. Unplug the DAC
3. Reboot
4. Let Windows finish booting up, so that it "clears" the drivers.
5. Reboot again.
6. Once windows comes back up, reinstall the DAC drivers and device.

Often with USB devices, you need to install the drivers FIRST, before you plug the device in, and then attach the device.  However, some USB devices actually have you attach the device during the install process.  Either way, don't attach the DAC until either the driver install wizard tells you to, or until after the driver install completes.

If the device is still attached while you try to upgrade the drivers, it can often "look" like it worked, but part-of (or all) of the drivers could still be stuck on the old version.  This is pretty common with USB devices.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gtp600

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 01:42:00 pm »

Thanks to all for the suggestions and helpful links. I'll continue with some experimentation.

I had a second pass thru Jim's Weird Problems link and saw some references to wireless network connections. I shut off my wireless NIC (now I have no active network connection on the PC), and have been listening for ~4-5hrs with no audio dropouts so far. Not conclusive yet, but perhaps it's the wireless NIC HW itself or an application (like NAV or MC15??) accessing the internet and bogging things down at times. As fyi, I access my library via the MC Theater Mode with the MC Remote Control.
Pages: [1]   Go Up