INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: stacking ebooks question  (Read 1769 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
stacking ebooks question
« on: November 06, 2010, 08:56:30 pm »

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have not used stacks....

I'm seeing more and more ebooks being distributed simultaneously in several formats (pdf, epub, lit, mobi, lrt, etc.). I thought this might be a good application for stacks since I'd like to keep all formats but only see one in my library. I tried to stack them but could not find the command. I'm guessing that it is not possible to stack files with different types. Can anyone shed some light?

Lasse_Lus

Re: stacking ebooks question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 03:53:08 am »

you can stack any type of files, though i do think you are in "playlist view", for some reason the stack function is not visable in playlists, go to a "normal" view and rightclick, you will find the stack functions at the bottom.
MT5FR

rjm

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 09:58:11 am »

Thanks. I was able to stack an ebook but observed some strange behavior. When I search for stacked files I it jumps me to a different view and shows a file that is not stacked. Also when I unstack a group of 3 it sometimes only shows 2 items until I change views, then I see the expected 3. Makes me feel this feature is unstable so will probably not use.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 12:58:24 pm »

My guess is that you just aren't understanding what it is doing.  I use them a lot, and it works fine.  But it may depend on your expectations...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rjm

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 01:10:55 pm »

My guess is that you just aren't understanding what it is doing.  I use them a lot, and it works fine.  But it may depend on your expectations...
When I right click and select search for stacks what should happen?
For me it switches to a different view and shows a file that is not stacked.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 02:06:55 pm »

rjm, you may want to read marko's excellent writeup about stacks http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?PHPSESSID=4583ababdd57d18e3061184db037cf29&topic=55782.msg379261;topicseen#msg379261

regarding "the jump" to different view, that's harcoded so if you have a custom view it will jump to one of the 4 "main" views depending which mediatype you have in the stack, DATA, AUDIO, VIDEO or IMAGE ...

it's the same when using the lookup album function  :(
MT5FR

rjm

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 02:30:07 pm »

regarding "the jump" to different view, that's harcoded so if you have a custom view it will jump to one of the 4 "main" views depending which mediatype you have in the stack, DATA, AUDIO, VIDEO or IMAGE ...
Ahh... I got rid of those useless standard views years ago. I guess I won't be using stacks. Thanks for your help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 04:08:06 pm »

Ahh... I got rid of those useless standard views years ago. I guess I won't be using stacks. Thanks for your help.

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish with that command, or why it is so important.  I never use that particular function.

rjm

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 07:04:15 pm »

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish with that command, or why it is so important.  I never use that particular function.
I am very cautious and conservative regarding the integrity of my library. Given that stacks add another layer of complexity it seems wise that I first establish a method for finding all stacks so that I can check their integrity from time to time and/or remove them if necessary before I commit a bunch of time to creating stacks. I was therefore pleased to see a Find Stacks function but unfortunately it is not compatible with the design of my library.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 07:45:51 pm »

Gotcha.

Pages: [1]   Go Up