INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: when sharing library over net... how do we reset access?  (Read 1680 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
when sharing library over net... how do we reset access?
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:03:09 pm »

ive shared my library with someone and dont want them to get in again. do i just goto file tools, options, media network, then chose reset?

Thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: when sharing library over net... how do we reset access?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 06:40:39 am »

The Manage access to server... > Reset... option resets the access key and the old key will not work anymore. However, it is possible to store the actual IP address and port on the client and connect without using the key.

For added protection, you can:
- Change the user name and/or password (or start using them). Options > Media Network > Library Server > Advanced Server Settings > Enable Authentication...
- Configure the server to use a different port.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:41:28 am »

out of curiosity.. is it possible to have multiple users\passwords. ive been showing the server to people just so they get an idea. but dont want them in all the time. but want family to be in all the time and not have to change passwords

it is possible to store the actual IP address and port on the client and connect without using the key.
so if someone is savy the authentication really doesnt matter? they can still get in?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 10:55:46 am »

so if someone is savy the authentication really doesnt matter? they can still get in?

The KEY doesn't matter, the authentication does.  The access key is just a shortcut that points to your system's IP address, and works around dynamic IP changes (like DynDNS).  The authentication is something else entirely, and is required for access to the system.  Of course, I don't know if the username/password is sent in cleartext or not.  I'd hope not, but I'd have to hook up WireShark to find out and I'm too lazy.

And, no, there is a single username/password combo for the system.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 11:02:34 am »

so basically every time i give someone access, and dont want them to have access, just send a new access key email to all those family\friend members?

Thanks Guys

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 11:12:43 am »

so basically every time i give someone access, and dont want them to have access, just send a new access key email to all those family\friend members?

No.  The opposite.  Sending or creating a new access key will only block access to people who connected via the old access key.  They don't HAVE TO connect that way.  In other words, you can connect to a remote library using the authentication key, or you can connect via the IP address and port combination.  So, even if you originally connected them via the access key, and that's all you provided, it is a simple matter to translate this into an IP address and connect manually.  All you have to do is visit the WebRemote web page (right in the invite) and it'll GIVE you the IP address.

In the File -> Library -> Connect to Server dialog, you can actually enter an address like: 209.222.207.12:4050 (for a server at that IP address and port).  Even if you change the access key, if they happen to have manually gone in and configured it that way (extremely unlikely, I agree), they'll still be able to connect.  Even if you also change the port number, they could easily port scan your computer and get in, if they have your IP address.

To really block access, you need to change the username/password combo.

Again, though, unless you have a determined and savvy user trying to gain access to your library, this isn't likely.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

HTPC4ME

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 11:21:42 am »

ok thanks for clarifying. :)

To really block access, you need to change the username/password combo.

i use a program called easy file share webserver for friends, family, guests, and i can setup diffrent username and passwords for them.

is this something that may be available with jriver? that way one could just have a guest account, and only have to change those usernames\passwords, not effecting other users or my own pc's in the house.
Pages: [1]   Go Up