INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does a Skype VOIP adapter exist?  (Read 3044 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Does a Skype VOIP adapter exist?
« on: November 08, 2010, 12:13:05 am »

I have used a Skype to USB / phoneline adapter for a few years now but they always end up developing issues including skype crashing, the driver crashing, skype updates breaking features, and having to run a 32-bit system 24/7 just for skype.  It also makes having two skype lines impractical because one would need two systems.

Does anyone know if a standalone Skype VOIP box exists that is inexpensive?  The boxes I've used are around $30 or less but as I said, there are a lot of issues that develop over a given period of time.

Thanks everyone.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Does a Skype VOIP adapter exist?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 03:29:18 pm »

Not really anything good.  They made a few "Skype Phones" but they stunk and they were expensive (you'd be better off with an iPod Touch).  Most of the other hardware I've seen all got reviews similar to what you're reporting.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

benn600

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 03:34:08 pm »

A D-Link device I used was great except when the computer/phone/power whatever would reset, then it would default to PSTN.  The phones used were two line so each needed to be independent.  With the default setting, I'd have to unplug/plug in the phone line each time that happened and that was a pain.

The newer one has a few advantages (no special dialing structure required) and isn't too bad now that I downgraded Skype.  Perhaps I need to go even further back on the version.

The last remaining issue I see is that periodically a number is dialed to the receiving handset (if I make the call over Skype I don't hear it, just the other party).  It seems to be generally infrequent but is a pain.

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 01:20:23 pm »

I have the same D-Link USB Skype adapter for years.  It worked fine on XP and even on 32-bit Vista.  But there is no 64-bit driver for Vista or Windows 7.  Even if it worked on XP, adding a Microsoft webcam was not working.  I tried using the Virtual Box but that was unreliable too.

In the end, I gave up on the Skype USB adapter.  I installed the Skype on the 64-bit Vista machine with the MS webcam installed.  The computer speakers and the webcam together serve as a video speaker-phone.  This setup works beautifully and can make both the audio and a/v calls.  The sound quality is actually better than the handset used with the Skype adapter plus now there is live video.
Nelson

benn600

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 01:23:43 pm »

The problem is that back home they need 10 handsets plus base station...which is even fewer than desired but system limited to 10.  I have four in my apartment and need the telephone system so standard handsets can be used.  I use Skype on my computer all the time but still like a faux landline.  I, too, tried VirtualBox.  Ultimately, I'm back to an old Asus EEE running an older version of Skype and it is great except for periodic number dialing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up