INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Music Playing M4P  (Read 9026 times)

Elodie

No Music Playing M4P
« on: October 10, 2010, 01:11:59 pm »

Hi folks,
New to any forum, hope you can help!  ? Have trial MC15. I have loaded contents of iPod. MP3 and M4A play perfectly, M4P is playing (ie: blue-bar across top moves showing elapsed time), but no music.
I have Quicktime Player and FFD Show and they all appear to work.
Anybody have any ideas?

Thank you

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: No Music Playing MP4
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 02:51:59 pm »

New to any forum, hope you can help!  ? Have trial MC15. I have loaded contents of iPod. MP3 and M4A play perfectly, M4P is playing (ie: blue-bar across top moves showing elapsed time), but no music.
I have Quicktime Player and FFD Show and they all appear to work.
Welcome to the forum.  MC won't play protected Apple files (m4p).  You would need to use Quicktime or iTunes for that.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: No Music Playing MP4
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:16:32 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  MC won't play protected Apple files (m4p).  You would need to use Quicktime or iTunes for that.

To clarify, MC will not play m4p files using JRiver audio engine, but will play them using Quicktime engine.  You must have iTunes installed on the computer.  Tools > Options > File Types > iTunes Protected Audio (m4p, m4b), choose Quicktime engine for Playback Method.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Visth

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: No Music Playing M4P
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 07:32:03 am »

Having joined here recently and I was running into the same problem. Quicktime playing worked but was bug ridden. Ultimately, what I did, was cumbersome but helpful in the end... I converted all my purchased m4p songs to m4a and have much less issues... only nuisance was that i had to change all the playlists that I had imported from itunes since I deleted all the m4P files... slowely starting to hate the way apple protects these files and makes it so darn hard to get playlists and such shared.. but their user interface is second to none... i hope that j-river eventually becomes apple easy..

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 09:10:52 am »

slowely starting to hate the way apple protects these files

They don't anymore (and haven't for a long time).  And when they did, they did it because they were required to by the record companies.

Now, they certainly benefited from the iTunes/iPod lock-down in some ways.  But I don't know that it could be convincingly argued that they achieved their dominance of the portable audio player market exclusively from the DRM lock-in.  I think perhaps that contributed in some small ways, but there were lots of other factors at play.

They do still DRM their video files, which sucks, but the TV and Movie studios would never license them their content without the locks.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Visth

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 07:51:54 pm »

If those files are not DRM protected, why can't j-river play M4P? Why do i have to convert them all to M4A?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 09:49:49 am »

If those files are not DRM protected, why can't j-river play M4P? Why do i have to convert them all to M4A?

We assume all m4p files are protected.  That is what the "p" in m4p stand for, isn't it?  If a file is not protected, its extension should really be m4a, not m4p.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 12:41:05 pm »

We assume all m4p files are protected.  That is what the "p" in m4p stand for, isn't it?  If a file is not protected, its extension should really be m4a, not m4p.

This is correct.  There is no difference between MP4, M4A, M4V, M4B, M4R, M4B, and M4P.  All of them except for MP4 were file extensions that Apple invented to differentiate between the different uses of MP4 files.  They are not different kinds of files.  They are all just MP4s with different kinds of content inside.

MP4 is the "real" standards-body approved file extension.
M4P means simply a "Protected" (DRM-laden) MP4.
M4V is a MP4 that contains video content.
M4A is a MP4 that contains audio content.
M4B is an audiobook (usually also DRM-laden).
M4R is a ringtone.

So on and so forth.  There is absolutely no need to "convert" between a M4P and a M4V.  If the file really does not have DRM, you can just change the file extension to either M4V or MP4.  They are the same exact thing.

Now, I'm really not sure where you got a M4P file that has no DRM.  That's weird.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up