INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New version, new font, no foreign characters  (Read 16678 times)

SteveGoff

• Junior Woodchuck
New version, new font, no foreign characters
« on: November 12, 2010, 06:40:47 pm »

I just downloaded .142, and then .150, and found that my song and album titles with foreign characters (such as vowels with umlauts) no longer show those characters but boxes. I've searched for a font with these characters, and I thought some of the common fonts contain them, but none shows these characters. How do I get these foreign characters back?

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: New version, new font, no foreign characters
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 07:24:23 pm »

Just tested, and there's nothing wrong with my foreign characters here (Mostly Japanese/ Chinese letters).
Not sure what's wrong, but some more general system info (OS, hardware, types of file) would be a helpful starting point :)

-Leezer-

SteveGoff

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 08:10:52 pm »

My OS is Windows 7 64 bit. The characters used to appear correct. When looking at the file names in Windows Explorer the word looks like this: "Sussliebchen." Here is how it appears in Media Player 15: "S￟liebchen."The only thing that changed was an upgrade to Media Player 15. I think the u and the ss used to look like they would in German, perhaps with an umlaut and a double s character.

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 01:48:29 am »

I am running Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 32-bit.  All European (composer) names are perfectly displayed (ex. Spanish, Italian, German umlauts, Norwegian and Swedish characters) in Standard and Theater Views.  Even the Polish name such as Karłowicz and Czech name such as Dvořák show up correctly. 

My music collection does not contain any names with Chinese or Japanese characters.  But it should not matter.  The Windows 7 and Vista are running Unicode.  If MC is a Unicode compliant application, it should be able to correctly show all characters in the Unicode which is like the whole world.
Nelson

SteveGoff

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 01:39:36 am »

Funny, but my other computer does not have this problem. I wonder what is going on.

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 02:31:47 am »

try lucinda sans unicode

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 11:55:57 am »

As mentioned, please try a different font in Options > Tree & View > Select font...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

SteveGoff

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 01:09:21 pm »

I went through several fonts, including Unicode fonts, but the boxes remained. I'll experiment some more, including trying Luncinda Unicode. The same fonts on a different machine seem to work fine.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 04:31:12 pm »

Is the issue only with newly imported files?  What happens if you manually change a value?

What if you copy and paste a value with boxes into a word processor?

Thanks.

SteveGoff

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 06:08:40 pm »

Sorry, but a wind storm has left me without power at home. I'll try these suggestions when I can.

Jonahsdad

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 04:38:47 pm »

To revive this thread, I'm experiencing the same problem.  Importing cue sheets with German characters gives the gobbledegook.  I'm running Windows 7 64 bit w/ MC 15.167.
The cue sheets, which are text files, are fine (German characters are properly displayed).  Copy the gobbledegook to Notepad or MSWord displays gobbledegook.  Imported with font set to Lucida Sans Unicode.

Any further thoughts on the problem?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 04:52:49 pm »

To revive this thread, I'm experiencing the same problem.  Importing cue sheets with German characters gives the gobbledegook.  I'm running Windows 7 64 bit w/ MC 15.167.
The cue sheets, which are text files, are fine (German characters are properly displayed).  Copy the gobbledegook to Notepad or MSWord displays gobbledegook.  Imported with font set to Lucida Sans Unicode.

Any further thoughts on the problem?

Please email a copy of the CUE sheet to matt @ jriver dot com.  It's probably related to the encoding scheme used for the CUE file.

I'm out for the weekend, but will follow-up Monday with more information.

Thanks.

Jonahsdad

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 09:00:09 pm »

I've emailed the file.  It's somewhat moot.  I've split the cue into individual files.  As separate files they imported properly.  As a theoretical matter, there was a problem with the cue sheet.  Was it the cue file? or a MC bug?  I can't wait till Monday to find out ;)

JohnT

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 11:53:01 am »

MC was reading the cue file as Ansi data.  A fix will be in the next build.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up