INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver vs Xbox 360  (Read 2963 times)

pablo_hp

• Recent member
JRiver vs Xbox 360
« on: November 13, 2010, 12:58:35 pm »

Hello.

I´m Brazilian and I'm trying to share my video files from my notebook to my xbox using JRiver Server.
I can stream videos to my xbox using convertion method called "WMV Stream", that are in "options", in "Media Network".
My problem is that the quality of stream is very poor using WMV Stream.

I like to stream with WMV but I want a quality more better for streaming.

I found in "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 15\Plugins\WMVProfiles"
two files XML and I try edit the dimensions from 320x240 to 640x480, but the quality continuous the same.
Don't do effect change this settings.

Well.
When I try to Stream using convertion method called "MPEG4 High Bandwich",
my Xbox show an error "C00D36FB" and don't play the video.

So, sorry for my poor english.
But I need some help with this insue.
Please, anyboody can help me?

Thanks at all.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver vs Xbox 360
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 02:07:38 pm »

Hello,
The MPEG4 presets will be updated in the next build so they will work on the xbox 360.

We are also looking into the WMV profile since that would allow the video to be played while it's being converted (unlike the MPEG4 conversion).

tgrounds

• Recent member
  • Lovin' life!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 07:14:02 pm »

Evening folks -

I'm having some issues with the xBox DLNA server as well - and I have tried some different setting with some interesting results.

Please bear with me on this - there are a lot of details.

I have ripped most of my DVD collection to HD (about 8TB worth).  I have ripped them over the past few years with no conversion/compression.  So, they are all VOB files in the directory structure found on the DVD.  Media Center has found the correctly, grabbed cover art, etc. and as a result I have 957 movies in my collection in Media Center.

I have an iPad and converted a few of my movies to M4W format so that I was able to take those on my iPad during travel.  Those entries have also made it into Media Center and play fine.

I have a few home movies that are saved as WMV format and they are in my Media Center and play correctly as well.

I just upgraded to the new version of Media Center (15.0.172) and on all of my PC's everything is great (as expected).

I have a new xBox 360 and was hoping to play my movie collection using that - but I'm finding issues all the way around.  I even went back to the Windows Media Center with the xbox 360 extender to find that while all my movies show up on the PC in Windows Media Center, they don't play the the extender because they are VOB (and I am NOT going to convert 957 movies to the new format).

I tried the DLNA server in version 15 and I'm having no luck with my VOB files.  Also, It's not pulling in my entire collection.

• Using out of the box server I was able to only play my WMV format movies
    When I turn on the 'Advanced' DLNA option, I am able to play the M4V and WMV movies - but on the xBox it only shows I have a collection of 56 movies.
    When I add a Sort A to Z filter, I see 405 of my movies, but it starts mid-way through my A's and doesn't include all entries that I have in my library on the PC

When I set it to 'Always Convert format' I get the xBox error 69_C00D36C4 error and the only type that plays are the WMV type
    All of my movie entries that are the VOB file type have the universal O with the slash through it and I'm not able to play them on the xBox

When I looked in my library listing on the PC the file name for all of my movies is the path ... Video_TS.dvd;1

Music is working correctly.

One other question, the only information I see in my movie listing on the xBox is the title - while when I look at my Music entries on the xBox and I'm seeing Artist, Album and Genre.  Should I be able to see more information about my movies on the xBox and maybe even cover art?  (which I don't see in my Music listing either).

Sorry for the long post - this is all new to me and I have lots of questions and the idea of being able to leverage what I have built in Media Center on my xBox is Brilliant!

Thanks-
Tom.
Tom Grounds
IT Consultant - Pariveda Solutions
http://www.parivedasolutions.com

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 07:36:58 pm »

You aren't going to be able to play VOB's natively on the xbox 360 because it doesn't support mpeg2. The windows media extender does conversions on the files the xbox 360 can't play.

You should delete the generic DLNA profile that is in the media network by default and add a xbox 360 one.
If you do "convert when necessary" for video and use the wmv option for encoder most everything should play. The vobs still may not though since I "think" the conversion is bypassed for the .ifo file type in MC.

tgrounds

• Recent member
  • Lovin' life!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:35:32 am »

Thanks - that may be what I'm seeing then because none of my VOB files are playing.  I was hoping that I didn't have to go and convert all of my already ripped library, but it appears that may be the case.  So, I will continue using my Media Center connection (PC) to enjoy my movies.

Thanks so much for such a great product!
Tom.
Tom Grounds
IT Consultant - Pariveda Solutions
http://www.parivedasolutions.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up