INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC WITH AN EXTENDER  (Read 1289 times)

reckless1956

MC WITH AN EXTENDER
« on: November 13, 2010, 07:08:15 pm »

Can MC be used with a media extender?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC WITH AN EXTENDER
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 12:51:41 am »

Not currently, at least not without using DLNA devices, so it's not really "native" MC. I've really wished for such a thing specifically made for MC, running Theatre View, like the Sage extenders have. I believe such devices will sell. I've gone the much more expensive route and built - or in one case, bought - PCs for the several rooms I want to run MC in.

Robert Joe

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: MC WITH AN EXTENDER
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 10:08:48 am »

I have been exploring the options available for serving music to an extender because it is time to move the desktop sized HTPC out of the living room. Now that it is cheaper and less hassle to use a streamer for video (esp. blueray), streamers are the route I am going.

I have been using JRiver for 5 years. When you get used to this first class GUI, interfacing with DLNA devices is a major step backwards. When you use a high quality audio extender like the Squeezebox Touch then the SlimServer Web interface is also a major step backwards.

You just cannot beat a native GUI. I decided on these two options:

1) Atom based, small fanless PC, streaming music from a server in another room. I get the awesome JRiver interface.

2) Squeezebox Touch combined with Ipeng on an iPad. The Ipeng application is awesome for navigating and selecting music for playback. I still use JRiver for library mangement and playlist creation. Playlists get exported and SqueezeServer picks these up.

Right now I am going with (2) because it is a lot cheaper. When I get the Squeezebox Touch I may also explore writing a plugin to allow JRiver to play to the Squeezebox Touch. The SlimServer protocol is open source. All I need to do is find out if such an output plugin can be written for JRiver i.e. do they provide the necessary hooks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up