INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WebRemote and WHS  (Read 3658 times)

idhToronto

• Junior Woodchuck
WebRemote and WHS
« on: November 11, 2010, 03:11:08 pm »

Is it possible to use webremote if the server containing the media files is an HP MediaSmart Server running WHS?

I can connect and view my library no problem but cannot get any MP3s to play and when i check the server it says playback could not be done as no audio device. is there a setting i change or am I out of luck with this configuration.

Thanks

Ian

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: WebRemote and WHS
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 03:28:18 pm »

Do you have MC15 running on the HP? 

idhToronto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 10:17:14 pm »

Yes - MC and the Library Server are running - the message that appears on my HP server inicates the files could not be played via direct sound and no playback device is available

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 11:48:03 pm »

Does the media smart server actually have a sound device?
If not does whs support USB sound devices?

I have MC 15 running on my server which is 2008 R2 with inboard sound for one zone and USB sound for another, then dlna for streaming. Works great with MC handling my library on 12TB of local storage

idhToronto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 08:11:02 am »

No the MediaSmart Servers do not have on-board sound cards and I am not sure whether they support USB sound devices.

Would someone be able to explain the difference between why TwonkyMedia Server will allow music to be played over the internet without any sound issues yet JRiver WebRemote does not? To me it seems that JRiver renders or processes at the server before sending to the internet connected device while Twonky doesnt - is that correct?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 09:40:25 am »

We may be able to fix this in a future build.  We'll talk about it next week.

idhToronto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 09:59:25 am »

Oh good - I look forward to it :-)

I have only recently discovered WebRemote and find it great to have an all in one package like JRiver MediaCenter

Ian

idhToronto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 12:03:22 pm »

Further to this I presume that even using Gizmo on Android would experience the same problem - that is, any time we try to use the MediaCenter over the web will not result in success on the MediaSmart server as no sound card exists and at the present time Media Center relies on this.

I also just tried XPTunes and experienced the same problem. I really dont want to use Twonky as it is soooo CPU intensive

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 12:20:20 pm »

I'm a little confused, because it should not matter if the server machine has a sound card.  Of course you can't play on the server without a soundcard, but that has no bearing on clients.

Could you explain why this matters and/or the error you are getting from Media Center?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

idhToronto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 03:06:45 pm »

The error occurs whenever I use DLNA or a Web-based remote control Media Center.

When I use an internet browser to access my library with WebRemote (or XPtunes or similar product) I can browse all my files but cannot play.

Whenever I attempt to play nothing happens and when I do check my server I have a message displayed that says the system must have a valid sound playback device.

My original question was whether i am missing a configuration step or is this by design

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 03:09:18 pm »

Whenever I attempt to play nothing happens and when I do check my server I have a message displayed that says the system must have a valid sound playback device.

WebRemote is designed to remote control the server.  So when you tell it to play, you're asking the server to play.  It has no soundcard, so this won't work.

Where are you trying to play?  You either need to switch zones with WebRemote (in WebRemote's Playing Now page) to pick a DLNA zone or use WebPlay to play on the client.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

idhToronto

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 03:22:20 pm »

Thank you Matt!

I didnt think WebPlay was for a browser on a PC so I used WebRemote and didn't try anything with Zones.

I just used WebPlay and it worked successfully. One more reason to give two-thumbs up to JRiver  :D

and when I buy my Archos Android device i am looking forward to using that too
Pages: [1]   Go Up