INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I popup the progress bar in Display view without pausing or skipping?  (Read 3199 times)

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe

I was asking about this in the 15.0.150 thread, but I didn't get an answer, so I guess I'll make a new thread since it technically isn't a bug report.

Because of the new progress bar in Display view that appears when you press pause or skip (nice feature!!), Position is removed from the up/down arrow OSD. So I can no longer hit up or down on my remote or keyboard to check the position.

I was told in the other thread that I can just press Info on the remote, but I can't find Info under Options -> Remote Control -> Commands to program in on my remote. So how do I program an Info button on my Yamaha learning remote?

Also I'd like to know if there's a keypress on the keyboard to bring up the progress bar without skipping or pausing, cause in my living room I use my wireless keyboard instead of the remote, since the remote is IR and only works in my theater. If there's no keypress tell me the command ID so I can assign a key myself.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

We could add position back to the up / down loop of on screen displays.

What do others think?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

audunth

Why not just add a remote command/keypress to bring up the progress bar without pausing/skipping? Either for a few seconds or require another press to hide it again?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

rick.ca

What do others think?

As I suggested here (and following posts) Up could initiate a separate position display loop, while Down would continue to initiate the existing OSD loop. Once initiated, Up/Down would select within the selected loop. The position display loop could be something like...

• position display (with automatic 10-second fade-out and exit from loop)
  • retain position display and pause
  • retain pause and remove position display
  • resume play and exit loop

When in the second state, instead of a 10-second fade-out, it could automatically advance to the third state after a longer delay—say, 60 seconds. 10 seconds is appropriate for displaying the position while the video is still playing. It's annoyingly too short when the video is paused. Imagine, for example, pausing a movie to ask your viewing companion if she would like to take a break or make some popcorn. She's then likely to want to consider that information—just as it's fading-out. I assume a 60-second fade-out is still sufficient to protect sensitive monitors. And after making the popcorn, I have the option of pressing Down to remind us where we are, or Up to resume the movie immediately. 8)

Alternatively, include the position display in the OSD loop—preferably in the first or second position. Use Right/Left to move through the same position display/pause loop. Hopefully, users would not confused this with pausing (i.e., with the Pause command) and then using Right/Left for fast forward/rewind. Hmm. I suppose both could be accommodated using the first method...

glynor

• MC Beta Team

What do others think?

Fine with me.  Makes more logical sense to have it there than absent.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

What do others think?

Yes please! It's a feature I used to use all the time - just a single arrow press from my wireless keyboard and the wife and  I could negotiate whether she stays up to watch the rest of the episode or not. Now I have to pause. I'd be totally satisfied with the function's return.

audunth

What I actually have always missed in MC is a fully configurable OSD. A separate option page with a list of items that can be ticked and moved up/down to fully configure the loop available with pressing the up/down arrows. An option for the amount of seconds it's visible (where 0 could be forever and require a separate keypress to hide), as well as options on screen position, size, color (maybe separate OSD skins, or why not use the display on top of the screen that is part of the current skin that appears when you move the mouse?).

Two separate loops initiated with up or down like rick.ca says is an exellent idea.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

audunth

Position OSD
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 05:56:55 pm »

...okay, if redoing the whole OSD isn't something you guys are ready for right now, please put back position in the up/down OSD choices! It's really annoying to have to pause the movie or use the mouse to check the position.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day

What do others think?

I would like to see this also.  :D

In fact, speaking of display info, is it time to get rid of the upper progress display/bar/info?  Just merge it into the larger and much more "stylish" lower info bar, and put any lost information into the up/down rotation?  Or, as previously suggested, use that upper system of customization to customize the lower bar.

It makes little sense to me to have both, and I like the lower bar better :)

Thanks
pretend this is something funny

raym

• MC Beta Team

What do others think?

yes please!
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

lhwidget

• World Citizen

What do others think?

I'd love to see this feature also, perhaps as the first display in the loop? 

8 sec fadeout, or a button press to exit the display without interrupting the playing movie.

Also, I'm not sure how hard it would be, but rick.ca's idea is nice (start time - position - end time). 

Thanks for listening Matt.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Coming to build 15.0.159 and later:
Changed: The position on screen display is part of the regular on screen display rotation (so pressing up / down will show it).

And this change is only sort of related, but it was bothering me:
Changed: Changing the volume doesn't put the on screen display into a mode where left / right change the volume until the display goes away.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

audunth

Thanks, Matt! Appreciate it :)

I hope you somewhere down the line can look at making the OSD somewhat configurable, but until then this will do!
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Pages: [1]   Go Up