INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: APE ripping/naming  (Read 996 times)

Michael

APE ripping/naming
« on: June 15, 2002, 07:47:22 pm »

I used MJ version 8 trial version. I also use APE-format. I bought the last V8.0 version. Complete disaster.
What happens. Filenaming is with me Artist-name of track. When rippin, the temperary wav-file is good named, for ex. madonna-ray of light. But after encoding to APE-format, the artistname is gone and changed to Various artist, for ex;
various artist-ray of light. This wasn't with the earlier version 8 only with the last downloaded and payed version.
What can I do?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:APE ripping/naming
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2002, 08:02:16 pm »

I bought the last V8.0 version. Complete disaster.

Hang in there.  Buying MJ is a good thing... trust me.

About the filenaming, it's totally customizable in the options system.  And MJ uses "Various Artists" for the artist when CDDB returns that the CD has various artists.  (and sometimes CDDB is wrong)  Also, if you get brave, you may want to read about the "Album Artist" field in MJ's help, because it's really cool for various artist CD's.

Let us know if you get things working Michael.

Thanks.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Michael

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2002, 08:26:55 pm »

Thanks, for answering, but the problem stays, I know about the filenaming, but I wrote, that the temporary wav is named good, but after converting the name is gone. I installed again the older version 8.0.265 and the problem is solved, but with the latest version 2.0.293 the problem suddenly exists. I have to use the older version, but cannot update other bugs. Since it doesn't occur in the prior version, it is a programmingfailure or changing. I hope on better news.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2002, 09:11:17 pm »

Are you using the ripper or the converter?

Have you tried another CD or two?

How about changing the file properties of the files before you rip them?

How about a different naming scheme?

Does using MP3 instead of APE make any difference?

Sorry for all the questions... just trying to figure out what might be happening.

Thanks.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2002, 05:14:56 am »

It is with all encoders. WAV, MP3, APE
The CD is with vatious artists, but ythe artists are filled out (throught the CDDB)
However, if you ask the fileproperties, everything is ok, the artist is mentioned correctly in the ripped file;
If yous use normalize, the temporary wav-file name is correct on the disk, like I told before, but when I ask the properties, only the field trackname is filed out with 'artist-trackname'. The artist and all otherr fields are blank,
so converting the temp wav to ape goes, the filename on disk stays the same, thus correct, but in the database in MJ no data for all items, exept the trackname.
With a CD from one artist, everything goes correctly.
This means, theat with version 293, the naming of the filediskname comes from the general artis-field from the cd(DB) and not from the artist-field from the track.
Even when I rip one track at the time or several, the problem is the same.
With different naming-shemes, the problem stays.
Is this failure only with me? This must be seen before! A lot of CD are from various artists.
I hope you have more information to solve the problem. I use now version 265 until the problem is solved. Can you inform me wenn this is the case. And I hope I can get a  new licence key with the older version.
Greetings from Belgium

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2002, 06:20:35 am »

Thanks for all the details. We'll dig around Monday, and have more to say then.

Take care.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2002, 07:23:13 am »

I think the "problem" is that MJ uses the album artist when you type ARTIST in the filenaming stuff.  So, clear out "Album Artist" in file properties for the files, and it'll use the artist of the individual tracks then.

Let me know if that does the trick...

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up