INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Search facility  (Read 1376 times)

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
Search facility
« on: November 17, 2010, 09:33:05 am »

At the moment, when I do a search, it comes up only with stuff in the selected tree node. For example, if I am browsing Arists beginning with B, it searches only within that. How is it possible to make the search go through the whole audio library by default - without clicking on the root in the tree menu.

Thanks

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
Re: Search facility
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 12:08:13 pm »

Any thoughts?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 03:23:03 pm »

I think Ctrl+F should do this, since Ctrl+E switches the focus to the search box.

We'll make the change to a coming build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lostvibrations

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 06:04:26 am »

Yeah, would be good to be able to search the entire library by default. I thought this was the point of a search feature !

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 04:36:09 pm »

I thought this was the point of a search feature !

Not really. If one has deliberately selected a subset of the library, why would they (necessarily) want a search to extend outside of that subset? It will now be possible to it both ways. As the only method, the current behaviour is the sensible default. A program function like this should not override a selection the user has already made—unless it's obvious that choice is inconsistent with the function.

If you do wish to mix search with another means of filtering, a Panes view will generally serve much better than using the tree. It will allow you to select categories independent of the search. The search will initially display results within the categories selected, and the category panes will show only the values that exist in the selection. This is very useful for further narrowing the selection by category, or just seeing what category values exist in the records selected. The pane can also be used to widen the original selection, including a one-click Reset Selection that will allow the search to extend to the entire library (to the extent included in the view's Rules for file display).

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 04:48:22 pm »

Thanks for changing ctrl+f behaviour back to the roots :)

vagskal

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 02:06:43 am »

Maybe this is the place to ask this question, that i have asked before but did not get any answer 

If I do a search (type in the top right search box) in a top level categories view, the search result is not carried through to the subsequent categories views, i.e. if I have an album artist view and search for a composer name, I get to see only those album artists with albums where the search criteria composer exists, but if I drill down to the next (album) level I get all the albums for that album artist not just the albums where the search criteria composer has contributed. Is there a way to have search result carried through to subsequent views? (I tried to search the forums and the wiki but found no answer applicable to v. 15).
Pages: [1]   Go Up