INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP output formats  (Read 1143 times)

Dennis Graves

• Junior Woodchuck
DSP output formats
« on: November 18, 2010, 09:48:46 am »

Some questions about JRM15 output formats:
1) If I don't check the output format box in DSP Studio, what will be the "default" output parameters?
Will the sample rate (eg, 44KHZ) and bits (eg, 16) be the same as recorded and ripped for the piece being played?
2) If I check the output format box in DSP Studio, and then use "no resampling", "source bit depth" and "source number of channels", will I get the same result as if I did not chekc the output format box (ie, the parameters of the recorded and ripped piece)?
3) If I check the output format box in DSP Studio and enter a bit depth of 24, will pieces recorded and ripped in 16 bits be played back in 16 bits or 24 bits?
     I don't understand how you play something back in more bits than it has been recorded and ripped in? Do you "manufacture" the extra bits? If so, what does that do to the sound?
4) If I check the output format box in DSP Studio and select "all sources" under sampling rate and select a high sampling rate (eg, 92KHZ), what happens when I play something recorded and ripped at a lower sampling rate?
    Does JRiver then perform the same function as an upsampling DAC and somehow change the sampling rate to greater than the "native" recorded and ripped rate?  What does that do to the sound?

It would be very helpful if your manual had a section that explained all these things for those of us who are new to bits and sampling rates.
Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DSP output formats
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 10:16:49 am »

1) If I don't check the output format box in DSP Studio, what will be the "default" output parameters?
Will the sample rate (eg, 44KHZ) and bits (eg, 16) be the same as recorded and ripped for the piece being played?

Yes.

2) If I check the output format box in DSP Studio, and then use "no resampling", "source bit depth" and "source number of channels", will I get the same result as if I did not chekc the output format box (ie, the parameters of the recorded and ripped piece)?

Yes.

3) If I check the output format box in DSP Studio and enter a bit depth of 24, will pieces recorded and ripped in 16 bits be played back in 16 bits or 24 bits?

24-bit.

I don't understand how you play something back in more bits than it has been recorded and ripped in? Do you "manufacture" the extra bits? If so, what does that do to the sound?

Digital sound is a string of numbers.  Let's say you can normally have numbers like 1, 2, 3, etc. as your numbers.  If you add bits, you can have numbers like 1, 2, 3, etc. but you can also have in-between numbers like 1.3 or 2.7.  Those in-between numbers aren't used (so there's no sound difference) if you don't change the original sound.  But if you make a change to the sound (like volume, equalization, etc.), the in-between numbers allow you to do it with greater precision so less noise is added.

4) If I check the output format box in DSP Studio and select "all sources" under sampling rate and select a high sampling rate (eg, 92KHZ), what happens when I play something recorded and ripped at a lower sampling rate?
    Does JRiver then perform the same function as an upsampling DAC and somehow change the sampling rate to greater than the "native" recorded and ripped rate?  What does that do to the sound?

Media Center will upsample, using an audiophile-grade resampler.  It will be better than the resampling in a DAC, although the merits of upsampling at all are debatable.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Supersnake

• World Citizen
Re: DSP output formats
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 02:17:30 pm »

Those were questions I have thought about frequently.
Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up