INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd Ripping Problems  (Read 969 times)

AlonsoN

Odd Ripping Problems
« on: June 15, 2002, 05:30:57 pm »

Some odd problems ripping.

All rips to .wav, intention was to compare rips in MJ to rips in EAC.  Have not ripped w/MJ since v7.2

-MJ ripped one Digital Secure just fine.

-MJ did not recognise a disk change, and when the next disk was ripped, MJ gave the second disk the first disks file names.

-Since the first disk had more files than the second, MJ gave errors when it tried to extract files that did not exist on the disk.

-MJ insists on reading the second disk wrong from CDDB, even when I change focus, or select "Get info from CDDB"  Eventually MJ terminated with a dr. watson error.

Unrelated to the error, but I thought I would pass on the info anyway:  When ripping in digital secure mode MJ agrees with EAC as to track length... Actually its "MJ = (EAC - drive_read_offset)" which is ok because it's consistent and expected.  But MJ rips a different length file in Large Digital Buffer mode, and the differences vary file to file.

-Sysinfo-
Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.293
Install Path: e:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium III 548 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 261 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows NT  Workstation 4.0 Service Pack 6 (Build 1381)

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shell32.dll: 4.00
wnaspi32.dll: 4.70 , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2001 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.7

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Odd Ripping Problems
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2002, 09:17:23 pm »

Thanks AlonsoN.

You may want to bump this Monday so JohnT sees it. (he knows more about this stuff than me)

However, I can say that sometimes NT 4 is flaky about telling us what disk is in the drive.  I've seen Explorer get confused sometimes too...

Take care.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2002, 07:08:56 am »

> MJ did not recognise a disk change...

When you put the second disk in, did it show correctly in the list view in Media Jukebox? The ripper just grabs the info from the list view. Does it help if you collapse the "CD, DVD & Handhelds" item in the organization tree and then re-expand it first?

> But MJ rips a different length file in Large Digital Buffer mode, and the differences vary file to file...

How much was the difference, one sector? (2352 bytes).
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

AlonsoN

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2002, 09:13:44 am »

> MJ did not recognise a disk change...
When you put the second disk in, did it show correctly in the list view in Media Jukebox? The ripper just grabs the info from the list view. Does it help if you collapse the "CD, DVD & Handhelds" item in the organization tree and then re-expand it first?

-No, the view was not right, collapsing and changing focus did not work, Update from CDDB did not work.  Odd that it would re-querry CDDB, then return the result from the old disk.

> But MJ rips a different length file in Large Digital Buffer mode, and the differences vary file to file...

How much was the difference, one sector? (2352 bytes).

-EAC reports differences in samples or time, depending.  Turns out that CD drives tend to not start reading at exactly the right place.  EAC lets you set an offset to get the read starting right, so the song is read completely and accuratly.  In Digital Secure mode MJ agrees with EAC less the offset, but in MJ LDB mode the difference varies.   Sample variances for tracks in LDB mode: 00:00:00.119, 00:00:02.613, 00:00:03.186, 00:00:02.026

Chico

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2002, 10:05:12 am »

AlonsoN
When in the tree view, press the F5 button (Click on the appropriate drive in the MJ tree view and press F5).  I've had the same thing happen to me in Win98, and pressing F5 forces MJ to re-read everything in the path.

Let me know if it works for you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up