INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: networked drives with MC  (Read 1304 times)

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
networked drives with MC
« on: November 19, 2010, 04:31:18 pm »

I was told long ago that MC wouldn't work with network storage unless you mapped them as a network drive on your system. Then MC would treat them the same as a local drive. You could read/write to files on the server if the permissions were set to do so. However, because of some reason I've forgotten, you couldn't do the same with a non-mapped network location. I think the reason had something to do with ripping to a networked device was not allowed because of some DRM agreement. Is this still the case?

For example, on my system, I could map the server, which on my network is \\SERVER\ as 'M:'. So my music would appear in the library with the path: 'M:\ARTIST\ALBUM\'.

Or can I now do this without having to map to the network share? In this case it would appear in the library with the path: '\\SERVER\ARTIST\ALBUM\'.

The reason I ask, is in the next few days I'm going to build a new PC and thought it might no longer be necessary to map to network shares.

Searched the WIKI and the forums and couldn't find any info, so thought I'd ask here.

Thanks,
Gregg

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: networked drives with MC
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 04:48:58 pm »

I was told long ago that MC wouldn't work with network storage unless you mapped them as a network drive on your system.

Not true.  At least, not for a LONG time.  MC supports UNC paths quite well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
Re: networked drives with MC
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 08:23:37 pm »

So, I can set my audio file location to '\\server' and I won't have any problems with ripping? Just want to make sure...

BTW, what's the fastest way to update my library with the server location? Should I just select all my tracks (over 45,000 files) and use the Find & Replace feature to  change all occurrences of 'M:' in the filename path to '\\server'?
Pages: [1]   Go Up