INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Encoding: Changing Lame.exe and External Failing  (Read 1765 times)

Mocktwo

Encoding: Changing Lame.exe and External Failing
« on: November 20, 2010, 07:01:14 am »

Hi,
I'm running the current version of MC15.0.142
I did "Check for Updates" and there were none, so I did all of this testing. Then before entering this bug, I browsed the forum and saw MC15.0.150 is available. Arrg. So I installed and did all of the testing again. No change and no Lame in the Plugins folder.

I use LAME. I like LAME.  I wanted to make sure I had current version integrated into MC15.
I read everything I could find in MC15 about encoding and LAME. Great.

Yesterday I ripped 4 CDs using the "MP3 Encoder" with custom parameter "--Preset Standard". All OK.
Interesting, there is no "lame.exe" in the Plugins folder?

From the reading, I went and got Lame 3.98.4 X64 and put it in the Plugins folder.  No change in file size.
So I put an old copy of Lame 3.96 in the Plugins folder … again no change. Down to the byte same with a file compare utility.

Ah, more curiosity.

I go into CD/DVD "Expert Options" and turn OFF "Encode concurrently with ripping. This change alone causes "Ripping error. Rip failed".  I turn this back on.

I change to "External Encoder" "%IN %OUT -V 0" and I get "Ripping error. Rip failed."

So I change to "Uncompressed wave". Rip the CD track and then use "Converter".  Interesting, converter seems to keep a different storage of setting, as they were not what I had set for rip.

Converting using "MP3 Encoder" with no lame.exe in the Plugins or lame 3.98 or lame 3.96 again were identical.
Converting to MP3 with VBR "Extreme" yielded different results than using "Custom" and "-V 0". But again doesn't care what lame version if any is in Plugins.
Converting using External Encoder now worked and shows the Lame verbose printout (I like). Now I know for sure what encoder is running.
BUT what a pain.

Since I can't prove what version of Lame is being used, my only choice is rip to WAV and then convert/encode  the WAV to MP3 and manually add the album image into the MP3.

AND - wow Secure setting on CD is very slow.

Bottom line: 1) Plugins folder & lame  is ineffective. 2) Ripping with external encoder fails.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Encoding: Changing Lame.exe and External Failing
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 09:26:41 am »

Hi,
I'm running the current version of MC15.0.142
I did "Check for Updates" and there were none, so I did all of this testing. Then before entering this bug, I browsed the forum and saw MC15.0.150 is available.

"Check for updates" doesn't update every possible build. More info: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=60570

Arrg. So I installed and did all of the testing again. No change and no Lame in the Plugins folder.

I use LAME. I like LAME.  I wanted to make sure I had current version integrated into MC15.
I read everything I could find in MC15 about encoding and LAME. Great.

Yesterday I ripped 4 CDs using the "MP3 Encoder" with custom parameter "--Preset Standard". All OK.
Interesting, there is no "lame.exe" in the Plugins folder?

From the reading, I went and got Lame 3.98.4 X64 and put it in the Plugins folder.  No change in file size.
So I put an old copy of Lame 3.96 in the Plugins folder … again no change. Down to the byte same with a file compare utility.

The lame.exe file has moved under the application data folder. You can replace it with your preferred version there. Currently MC uses LAME 3.97 by default.

I go into CD/DVD "Expert Options" and turn OFF "Encode concurrently with ripping. This change alone causes "Ripping error. Rip failed".  I turn this back on.

I change to "External Encoder" "%IN %OUT -V 0" and I get "Ripping error. Rip failed."

No comments yet. I'll try to reproduce this.

So I change to "Uncompressed wave". Rip the CD track and then use "Converter".  Interesting, converter seems to keep a different storage of setting, as they were not what I had set for rip.

The ripper and converter have separate encoding settings. It's a feature. For instance, you can rip to lossless and convert to lossy without changing the settings.

Converting using "MP3 Encoder" with no lame.exe in the Plugins or lame 3.98 or lame 3.96 again were identical.
Converting to MP3 with VBR "Extreme" yielded different results than using "Custom" and "-V 0". But again doesn't care what lame version if any is in Plugins.

VBR Extreme uses -V 0 --vbr-new  (hint: the grayed out "custom" box shows the actual command line). In LAME 3.97 -V 0 doesn't enable the new mode by default.

Converting using External Encoder now worked and shows the Lame verbose printout (I like). Now I know for sure what encoder is running.
BUT what a pain.

Since I can't prove what version of Lame is being used, my only choice is rip to WAV and then convert/encode the WAV to MP3 and manually add the album image into the MP3.

You should be able to use the external encoder directly when you rip, but you can't use the "Encode concurrently with ripping" option because the external encoder must have access to a physical source file. Also, don't enable the "use source file as-is" option because it disables internal tagging. (Edit: I have not tested the tagging behavior recenly. I'll test it and report back.)

AND - wow Secure setting on CD is very slow.

It reads each sector at least twice and if the results don't match it tries up to 16 rereads. Some drives are faster secure rippers than others. You can find some drive info here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59038
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Mocktwo

Re: Encoding: Changing Lame.exe and External Failing
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:04:50 am »

Thanks for the quick response. You guys always amaze me ... what a love for this you must have.
OK, new LAME location … I'm surprised that the WIn7 search option did not find it at all.

So I changed to Lame 3.98.4 X64 and higher bitrate, larger file … it works.  (Custom -V 0)
I checked "-V 0" and "Extreme" - now identical with 3.98.4 - great!!

Any way to get --verbose to work?  I like the conversion printout.
How does MC15 rip & encode simultaneously with the same lame.exe?

Now the External Encoding problem.
First, I only changed to uncheck "Encode concurrently with ripping" and I get "Rip failure".
Then keep it unchecked and try External Encoder with options "%IN %OUT" for simplicity. Same Rip failure.
Interesting after I get the ripping error and the CD didn't even spin up … I still get the "secure rip" report.

I thought some combination of this would get me the verbose report. I'm less concerned about external encoding now, with 3.98 working, but will continue to help if needed as this seems to still be a bug.
Pages: [1]   Go Up