INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Going to buy a new computer for my HI-FI: advice needed  (Read 1424 times)

ummaya

Going to buy a new computer for my HI-FI: advice needed
« on: November 26, 2010, 05:07:20 am »

I have decided to go the way of computer audio instead of buying an expensive high quality CD player.

My present system consists of : a preamplifier + an amplifier + a pair of speakers + a DVD player + a 42 inch LCD TV. I will buy and add a DAC and a computer dedicated only to my 'music center' on which I will have JRiver MC installed.
A month ago I purchased a brand new computer to replace my 5 years old rig which is now in my living room; I thought to use the old computer as the dedicated computer for my music center but it is too much noisy. Loud Rock and Roll music or symphonic music may cover the noise of the computer but I cannot imagine myself listening to any quiet music specially not piano sonatas or any solo instrumental  music with the computer's noise in the background.

One of my friend suggested a ASRock Ion 330HT  as a quiet computer but in several forums I have read many posts of people complaining about the noise level of the 330HT. I need your advice to help me choose a computer (PC not Mac) as quiet as possible (my budget is more or less $450) or maybe a way to make an old and noisy computer quiet.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Going to buy a new computer for my HI-FI: advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 08:45:39 am »

Don't mean to send people away from this Forum but you might check out www.silentpcreview.com  They have lots of articles and a forum totally oriented towards your pursuit.

Please post back here after you decide what to do and then how your results are.

Good luck.

Rod

ummaya

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 12:43:14 pm »

Thank you very much for the link, Rod

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 12:34:50 pm »

In my dining room I use an Acer Revo 310 (I think) - an Atom 330/ION graphics machine. It's silent as far as I can tell, and paired with a wall-mounted 1080p touchscreen, it makes a great theater view music browser and playback machine. It's coupled to an Pioneer AVR via optical, which powers an in-wall 7.1 speaker system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up