INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stupid question (maybe): Is 15 stable enough for a critical system?  (Read 2283 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

I'm upgrading my system now, with a new media server (I have it in the attic with a stack of amps and speaker cable going to the 10 different zones). But since I'll have to install Windows from the ground up anyway (and I'm going to run Windows 7 x64) I figured I could upgrade to MC15 at the same time. Well, that will be MC15 and MC14, one version for web radio to the same zones, I need a separate, differently named executable for my system to work, at the moment I'm running 14 and 12. But my days as a hotshot test pilot are over on production computers, since my kids are old enough to complain and my wife has lost much of her original 1/10000 oz of patience... ;) So can I trust my system to MC15 now, or should I wait a bit longer?

The new functionality I'm especially interested in is the better zone sync and the Android web remote (for my son's new Barnes and Noble Nook Color, which is coming next week). The rest is all up to stability... (Putting on flame proof suit, getting ready for the barrage...)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Stupid question (maybe): Is 15 stable enough for a critical system?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 12:50:06 pm »

It is absolutely stable enough for everyday use.

However, if you want to just install something and NEVER have to run an update... Well, then sticking to MC14 is probably best.  It is still developing, and they're adding new stuff every day.  Occasionally that "new stuff" involves minor feature regressions and broken stuff, as you well know.  Generally this isn't a major problem, and I'd call the MC15 development currently probably mid-way or late in the cycle.  It is quite stable, generally.

I, personally, could never go back.  MC15 has SO many awesome things in it that I can't even imagine living without anymore.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 01:31:10 pm »

MC15 is more bullet proof that any version of MC14.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 01:55:39 pm »

I'm finding MC15 much more stable than MC14 was.

Not to say it won't crash, and as Mastiff has said there will be updates for it, but I'd say you should be safe to upgrade.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 02:04:48 pm »

MC15 is more bullet proof that any version of MC14.

To be clear, I would agree with this.  It just depends what you mean by "stable".

If you mean "stable" as-in "capable of running for long periods of time without crashing or slowing down" then, generally, MC15 is better than any recent previous version of MC in this regard.  There are exceptions, but that's a pretty good guess.

If you mean "stable" as-in "a platform that doesn't change regularly and, even if there are minor updates here and there, is feature-complete and the UI will not change substantially" then I'd say no, MC15 is not at that point yet.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 02:30:21 pm »

If you mean "stable" as-in "a platform that doesn't change regularly and, even if there are minor updates here and there, is feature-complete and the UI will not change substantially" then I'd say no, MC15 is not at that point yet.
I don't think much will change with respect to features or UI now.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 04:15:47 pm »

Thanks, guys! Looks like I'll have to spring for an update this week or early next week. It's going to be interesting to check out the new Android functionality. I'm going to build and run a virtual machine with Android in VMWare tomorrow just to see how it works. I'm following that Nook Color on tracking, and it arrived at the air freight company's lot in Linden, New Jersey a few hours ago. So a quick hop over to Norway, I think it will be here tomorrow evening. And then the Norwegian Postal Service's army of trained slugs takes it on their backs to race down the 300 kilometers from the freight company's lot in Norway to me. Wednesday sounds about right....  I have actually had a regular USPS package coming from the sender to the customs service in Norway in three days and then use almost two weeks on the rest of the trip! You think you have slow postal workers? Here they put glue under the shoes of those that the union think are moving to fast!  ;D

Btw with stable I mean that it can run for a long time without crashing, yes. As for updates the first thing I do with my new installations, along with creating all the zones and then changing playback to gapless without any repeat, of course, is to turn off the automatic checking of updates. All that stuff is done manually, when I find out that a new function or something like that is something I want. I'm a firm believer in leaving working software alone on the production machines. Just like I'm a firm believer in letting sleeping Mastiffs lie, but that's only because in rude awakening they may take your head off... :D

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 05:35:16 pm »

Thanks for a few laughs, Mastiff!

Let us know what you find and how we can improve things for you.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 01:27:02 am »

You're very much welcome! ;) I will go through all the stuff I use and see if I stumble over anything.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 09:27:25 am »

I don't think much will change with respect to features or UI now.

So we're getting towards the end, eh?

That's fine.  There's been a TON added in MC15, so if you're almost ready to call it "done" I don't have a problem with that.  It just didn't "feel" that way with all the crazy amount of stuff you guys added last week.

windowsx

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 01:18:08 pm »

If you're referring critical system to dedicated home system with $$$, I'm almost sold to it except few issues before becoming loyal MC15 users:

1. My RME HDSP AES-32 can't perform at minimum buffer size in WASAPI Event Style. Not MC15's fault actually since it can play hires files quite well but buffer size is too large for 44.1 (increasing buffer in Hammerfall only make it worse). If there's 5 milisecond addition before minimum would be highly appreciated to kick away $3-5k CD Transport. Now it sounds like $1-2k CD Transport mechanism.

2. Upsampling by 2 or 4 times with condition to upsampling only files below 48khz. I don't  really use upsampling for my own system but upsampling for compatibilities only conditions like above 48 or 96 isn't what they're really meant to be used in this field. Most ppl in critical system prefer to upsample anything below 48k to double or quad with matching 44.1/48 base.

With this two done, I'm pretty convinced they can kick in any speaker system or computer related applications.

P.S. Anyway buffer size can be configured from registry but that wouldn't be convenience for non-geek users (I set mine to 4 for 25% more cycle).

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 01:19:14 am »

Windowsx, no, I'm not. I'm wondering about reliability not hifi. :) The amps and speakers are not in that range, except for in the home theater. And there I only use Blu-ray and upsampled DVD's.

windowsx

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 01:39:45 am »

In that case, it's pretty much finished for your need. Still need little more work for video playback though :D

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 01:43:33 am »

Sounds good! As for video that's really a very weak second in my priorities for this computer. Yes, I want to be able to run several 720p streams, but at the moment I'll be satisified with 24/7 stable (as in "you'll have to shoot it to make it malfunction", like my server - only rebooted when the power is out or to do a system backup) multi-zone music playback.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 07:59:10 am »

1. My RME HDSP AES-32 can't perform at minimum buffer size in WASAPI Event Style. Not MC15's fault actually since it can play hires files quite well but buffer size is too large for 44.1 (increasing buffer in Hammerfall only make it worse). If there's 5 milisecond addition before minimum would be highly appreciated to kick away $3-5k CD Transport. Now it sounds like $1-2k CD Transport mechanism.

The buffering value has no impact on the quality of the sound.  Buffering is a tradeoff between latency (time before DSP changes take effect) and skip-resistance (chance of audible hiccup in playback).

Feel free to start a new thread about this if there's something I'm not understanding.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up