INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Incremental copying of database data from one PC to another  (Read 912 times)

bobp

• Recent member
Incremental copying of database data from one PC to another
« on: November 26, 2010, 02:30:43 pm »

I apologize if this was discussed already, I could not find anything similar. Here is what I would like to do:  to update MC database, without using "restore" function by adding information from another copy of MC.

Equipment:

workhorse PC ("A)  connected to the internet running MC15 and ancillary tools

Media Server PC ("B")  with no internet connection  running MC15

I want to use "A" to rip media and then get from the internet all metadata related to the files (e.g. cover art, movie info from Wikipedia etc.) fix all typos and inconsistencies. Once everything is corrected and looking good, I want to copy both media files and metadata to Music Server ("B") and import data into it's MC15 database.

Once this batch is completed, database on "A" will be erased, another batch will be ripped and metadata collected and the proces repeated on a "B".

This will be repeated until job is completed.

Asumption: piecemeal update of MC15 database is doable

Mandatory requirement: "B" will not have network component installed because it does not have antivirus, firewal or other protection s/w. Under no circumstances it could be connected to the network or internet.

Can this be done and how?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Incremental copying of database data from one PC to another
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 05:45:09 pm »

On "A", store all new files in the same drive and in the same base folder. Create a playlist or view that shows all files, go to that view or playlist and export an mpl playlist to the root of the base folder. Tick the option to store relative paths. If you want to create more than one base folder, e.g. one for audio and one for video, you can export a separate mpl playlist to each base folder (one for audio, one for video, etc). The mpl playlist (or lists) will contain all metadata. If you add external cover art you should store the cover art files in the media files' folders so that the image files will be copied together with the media files and their paths will be correct (i.e. no path will be stored in Image File link, only the filename).

On "B", after you have copied the files, import only the mpl file(s).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up