INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Managing Albums & Playlists  (Read 2232 times)

haralson

• Recent member
Managing Albums & Playlists
« on: November 27, 2010, 04:09:12 pm »

I collect mostly classical music. Sometimes I want to separate an album into two or more sections, especially when it contains music by different composers. By trial and error, I have learned that I can create two or more different Playlists containing the desired tracks, making sure to rename the "Album" in each Playlist so that it represents the content I selected. This system works well for me. Each of the self-defined albums shows up as a separate entry in the Audio menu, and each album displays its appropriate cover art.

So far, so good. However, I have encountered several albums (all downloads) that automatically separate into different albums when I want them to remain as one. These albums show up as single items in the Playlist, and the files that comprise the album are listed in proper order when I click on the Playlist entry. In the Audio menu, the albums also show up as separate entries, but when I click on them in the Audio menu, they display in the File List as numerous separate categories, even though each category has precisely the same name. The same duplication occurs when I display the album art: each entry in the File List shows up as a separate (and identical) album cover. I have searched and searched, trying to find a common thread for the files that are grouped under the various categories, but I can find no such commonality. For example, my recording of Mahler's 8th symphony has 19 tracks, but Media Center divides them into 11 groups, some with only a single file, others with as many as four files -- but no apparent common content to explain why they are so grouped. And, yes, the album art display contains 11 album covers for the Mahler 8!

If I play the Mahler 8 from the Playlist, the tracks play in proper order. If I play it by clicking on the album cover, the tracks play in the apparently random order in which they appear.

Even though I am able to divide albums into various sections by giving them distinct names, all of the files that are "out of control" have identical album names, so the album name does not seem to be the determining factor.

Please help me make some sense of this and tell me what I need to do in order to get my library under control. Thanks!

THeOak

Re: Managing Albums & Playlists
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 10:20:37 pm »

I am a new user, and ran into the same problem.  I know this is an old question, but I thought it would be good to post a reply since I found my answer by reading this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=61225.msg411989#msg411989

It appears that JRiver uses the 'album artist' field in the tag to collect the album information.  After showing all tags, 'album artist' does not appear in the default tag view, you will probably see that the 'album artist' is different for each track.  By changing this field to the same artist, all tracks show up as if they were in the same album.  I hope that helps any noobs that run into the same problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up