INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist tags in standard panes viewer  (Read 962 times)

JohnFC

• Recent member
Playlist tags in standard panes viewer
« on: December 03, 2010, 11:32:59 pm »

Wondering if it is possible to show or tag playlist items in a pan view?
ie I want to look at a panes view (std list of audio songs) and see what is, and what is not in a particular playlist.
Hope this makes sense & sorry if this has been addressed- I can't find it.

Thanks
John

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playlist tags in standard panes viewer
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 01:47:56 am »

Yes and no. There's no way to show what playlists a file is a member of. But you can do a search for one or more playlists—to restrict the view to files belonging to those playlists. In the search wizard, select Playlists is any... and select the playlist(s) from the list box. If you want to tag files with a fixed reference to playlists they are a member of, create a custom My Playlists list field. Select a playlist using search, then tag all the files with the playlist name. This, of course, is not a dynamic reference and is practical only for playlists that remain unchanged.

I find this useful, for example, for tagging files I've burnt to CD for playing in my car. I've got playlists that tell me what's on those CD's, but only by this method can I see what is and what is not on them. This can be done—indirectly and only for one file at a time—by opening the Playlists "field" in the tag window.

Just for fun, the attached screen shot illustrates all three methods—for showing in a Panes View the tracks included on my Led Zeppelin car CD. ;)

JohnFC

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 05:18:06 am »

Thanks a million - you have certainly given me something to think about.
Do not quite follow. but from the scree shot, hopefullu can work it out.

BTW, that is exactly what I want to do - too see what is NOT in a playlist, so I can
1. add new material
2. make sure I do not duplicate songs

Thanks again - lets get the grey matter to work...

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 01:20:53 pm »

Do not quite follow. but from the scree shot, hopefullu can work it out.

Just remember the screen shot is illustrating three redundant methods—you don't actually want to do that. ;)

2. make sure I do not duplicate songs

If that's all that really matters, and you don't need to see in a list what playlists tracks are already in, the simplest approach might be to do a search that excludes tracks already in playlists. You could do that as needed, or maintain a smartlist. If that works for you, it would be best to keep all relevant playlists in a group—so the smartlist can simply refer to that group. For convenience, you can add that smartlist to a pane as a Search list... 8)

JohnFC

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 04:40:14 am »

Thank you so much for the details, time and effort.
Having been more of a casual user, I did not realise the power of some of these functions.
Much appreciated.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up