INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Webplay issue  (Read 2950 times)

IanH

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Never fly the "A" model of anything...
Webplay issue
« on: October 15, 2010, 04:03:26 pm »

I have no trouble accessing Webplay, Webremote or remotely connect to my library from my laptop from outside my network, but I'm having no luck whatsoever accessing Webplay outside my network using my HTC Desire running android 2.1.  The phone works fine using my internal WiFi, but if I'm out and about, it says the server failed to communicate.  Port forwarding is fine (as my laptop would not work).

Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Webplay issue
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 04:31:34 pm »

Please try the article  called "Network Access" on our wiki.

IanH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 07:07:47 pm »

Jim,

Everything works fine as far as network access.  I can access MC with my laptop from another province (webplay, webremote, remote server), which indicates port is open and all is well.  Is there something in there I'm missing?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 08:18:02 pm »

Maybe the IP address of your router changed.

Try generating a new access key and using it on the phone.

IanH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 01:28:55 am »

I reset and generated a new code, same.

I did get a message back on my phone that read; "FORBIDDEN - You don't have permission to access http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:52199/webplay/library.html on this server"

and below that was "Apache Server at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Port 52199"

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 08:00:12 am »

I had a similar problem. Suddenly I couldn't access my home computer from outside the home. I had to go into my firewall and set it up again because for some reason it was trying to send the 52199 input to a different IP address on my home network instead of the computer that was running MC.
Jeff

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:24:27 am »

I had a similar problem. Suddenly I couldn't access my home computer from outside the home. I had to go into my firewall and set it up again because for some reason it was trying to send the 52199 input to a different IP address on my home network instead of the computer that was running MC.
I'm wondering if the PC's inside your home network are getting an address from your router via DHCP that change? That would mess up the port forwarding. I noticed that happening on my parents home network where I had a port forward for VNC that suddenly ended up going to a different machine.

To solve that, you can give the MC PC a fixed address on your lan network and change the dhcp address range the server sends out so that it doesn't try to give out the address of that MC PC. Alternately, some routers let you assign fixed addresses via DHCP using the mac address of the PC as the determining factor. Then set the port forward on the router to that fixed MC PC address...

IanH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 02:40:26 pm »

Thanks!

I'll give that a try.  If it matters I'm using a Dlink DIR-825, in case anybody has seen it before on that type.

Ian

gappie

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 05:53:42 pm »

i dont use webremote or webplay, but i have seen what bob descibes from my router too. not a dlink. and not a flaw in the router. give the compu a fixed adress is a good way to have it all in your hands.

:)
gab

IanH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 01:12:03 am »

Fixed the internal ip and even forced my router to get a new external ip to see if that helped.  Still works perfectly from my laptop outside my network, and not from my android Desire.

I think I'll have to call my cellphone provider to see if something is being blocked.

Thanks for the ideas!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 07:08:47 am »

Fixed the internal ip and even forced my router to get a new external ip to see if that helped.  Still works perfectly from my laptop outside my network, and not from my android Desire.

I think I'll have to call my cellphone provider to see if something is being blocked.

Thanks for the ideas!
Assuming that your laptop uses a wireless Ethernet connection, make sure you turn on the wireless connection on the Android.  Otherwise, it's using the cell network and has different routing and rules.

IanH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 11:29:26 am »

Jim,

I think that's the problem.  It's the cell network blocking something.  The Desire works perfectly inside my network on wi-fi, and my laptop is connected to a wired connection at work (which connects perfectly).  It's only when the Desire tries to connect using Telus (service provider) HSPA network when I run into problems.

Ian

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 12:01:10 pm »

Testing the phone using Wi-Fi would confim that.

IanH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 09:21:25 pm »

Jim,

Looks like this is a phone service provider issue.  I haven't been able to go too deep with support, but it looks like they block all music streaming in favor of their own pay music streaming service.  They do allow youTube through, biy I'm not sure how they know my IP is a server streaming music.

As it's a phone issue, I'll move it over to the phone thread if I find any more info.

Ian

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 06:36:58 am »

You could ask the provider for a list of ports that they do allow to be opened, and then try switching MC's Library Server to one of them.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 09:01:30 pm »

The provider may just block HTTP transfers with the MIME type MP3.  It may have nothing to do with ports.

We could put in a fake MIME type to get around this, but I think then it'd be hard to get the core media engine on the phone to play it.

This is a stinky move by the provider.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

IanH

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 12:48:09 pm »

Just wanted to let you know that the new version of Gizmo and the new builds of MC have solved my webplay issue!  I didn't get too deep into what was happening, but just kept updating in the hopes that it would sort it self out....it did!

One other minor problem, it will play all my MP3's or WMA's, but when I remotely chose a FLAC file it says preparing, then gives me the play buttons and cover art, but then it goes back to the browse library button and doesn't play.

Thanks for a great product and support!
Pages: [1]   Go Up