INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This is a really stupid Question (sigh)  (Read 1650 times)

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
This is a really stupid Question (sigh)
« on: December 06, 2010, 02:44:06 am »

I think I have over thought this enough that I have paralyzed my self with indecision.

i Recently found an old backup of some music on an external hard disk.
the tags are a complete mess.
I need to import them in to media center so I can fix the tag's.
but I have lot's of rules for where to put files etc in my import settings.
If those rules were run on the files it would be a disaster.
So my question is how to I import the files into mc and have mc not do a dang thing
to them till I get the tag's fixed to the point I can run the rename,move & copy tool?

neFAST

• Galactic Citizen
  • \o/
Re: This is a really stupid Question (sigh)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 02:47:02 am »

Why don't you fix the tags by browsing this hard drive (Drive and Devices in the left tree) instead of importing files?

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 03:39:27 am »

Make a new library and point this one to the files.
If you don't clone the new one, none of your 'rules' will apply

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 03:53:13 am »

but I have lot's of rules for where to put files etc in my import settings.

There are no such rules in the import settings. There are only rules for what files to import. As you probably know, you can change the file path of any files using Rename, Move and Copy Files. But no files are moving anywhere until you run that.

rjm

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 11:14:42 pm »

So my question is how to I import the files into mc and have mc not do a dang thing
to them till I get the tag's fixed to the point I can run the rename,move & copy tool?

My philosophy is that nothing gets into my library unless it is properly tagged and the files are properly named and stored in the right location. Of course there needs to be a staging area for those files that have been imported and are in the process of being tagged. I implement this with a WIP (work in progress) folder. I first move the new files to the WIP folder, then manually import them by navigating via Drives & Devices to the WIP folder, select the files and right click Import. Now I take my time to tag the files properly. When done I rename and move the files to their final location with the Rename feature.

If you have a lot of files in WIP that will take a while to clean up and you do not want to mess up the normal use of your "clean" library files then you could modify your library views to exclude the location WIP. This will prevent you from seeing the mess in your normal views.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 05:40:25 am »

The easiest thing in my opinion, is to move the files to a Auto Import folder, and then start tagging and renaming the files from a smartlist of the last imported files. Works like a charm for me. I'm a bit more anal about the audio albums though. I use Tag&Rename for that, before I import a thing. Just to check for full albums, track order and so on.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up