INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV -Tuner - No video compression error  (Read 795 times)

mdshullaw

• Recent member
TV -Tuner - No video compression error
« on: June 14, 2002, 01:54:51 pm »

When I hit record using my TV Tuner (ATI) - it says no suitable video compression method found, and then says it will record without compression. I am running win98se, and have directx 8.1 installed. Anybody know who to resolve this?

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
RE:TV -Tuner - No video compression error
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2002, 02:28:05 pm »

Have you configured the video capturing?

while the tv is running, right click on the tv window. Select Options -> Configure TV. On the panel that opens, then click on Configure Capture. You can then choose a compressor.

On one of my system I have the ATI AIW Radeon 7500, and the recording works properly.. (although playing back the video, seems to get the aspect ratio wrong.. Huum I probably have to set somewhere a mantain apect ration checkbox that I haven't seen yet )

Anyway, if you have done this already, then open the Device Manager in Windows (how to do this depends on which os you are using). On Win2k in the devices tree there is a "Sound, Video and Game Controller entry". Expand that node. Look for Video Codecs. Selct the Video Codecs entry and then right click and select Proprieties. In the panel that opens, under the proprieties tab, you will see which codecs you have installed. If you have none, then re-install you ATI sw or look for codecs packages on the Internet

Claudio

Yaobing

RE:TV -Tuner - No video compression error
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2002, 02:34:53 pm »

Try install some video compression codecs. Here are some codecs that you can download for free:

PicVideo Motion JPEG:

http://www.jpg.com/video/mjpeg.htm

DivX:
http://www.divx.com/divx/

Microsoft MPEG-4 codec.
I am not sure where you can get this, but try look for it on Microsoft site. I think if you download and install Microsoft Media Player 7, MPEG-4 will be installed. You could also try installing Windows Media Tools from Microsoft.

Among these three, the PicVideo is fast, but results in larger file size. The other two give you more compression, and thus smaller files, but are more CPU intensive. If you do not have very fast computer, you will have more dropped frames during capturing. For example, on a 400MHz computer, I got only 20 - 25 frames per second when capturing at 320X240 video size.

You can click Configure button to bring up configuration dialog or property pages of these codecs and try different settings. You always have to choose between having greater compression of files and having better video quality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up